Lights - DYI question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kanevskystas

Aquarium Advice Regular
hello everyone,
i am new to the hobby and was wondering about this from the first moment i discovered that we need deep blue colours for the aquarium.
so the light in question in this one:

image-4140071623.jpg
i am an electrician with an electronics major so here is what i got for you,
philips 2700k light 60w/100w (intensity is not the question here..)
so the way those bulbs are built is as follows:
because LED are the most efficient in the blue spectrum light these bulbs are built with several high intensity blue spectrum LED. then those LED are covered with a yellow "cover" to filter out everything and emit 2700K in the end. all of this is covered with glass that defuses the light and reflects it.

so i don't know what is the colour of those LED inside there but i can tell you they are Vibrant Blue in color.
I did try to find specs for it.. No luck, if anybody knows please help..
also those will probably not be the usual 3W LEDs inside but they probably be using 5x2W or something..

also after removing the glass and the "cover" the LED become a more directional light, a spot light if you will, i don't know if that kind of light is good but one can always reflect it from the back reflector in the fixture.

does any body thought about using one of these before?
it can be a very cheep way of getting the needed light if it actually works.

any way, tell me what you think

Stas.

Hi Stas, it really depends on the livestock you wish to keep. Are you planning to keep just fish? If so, any light will do. The fish won't care one bit. I'm currently running a cheap warm white LED flood light on my 60g tank just so i can see the fish a bit better.

If you are planning to keep anything but softies at the top of your tank, this light won't cut it. Is the light running 60/100w? If so, these are not LEDS. Or is this an LED bulb running at a 60/100w equivalent? Either way, the light won't work for corals.

I just wanted to know.. Basically those led lights use the same led that you get on the fancy fixtures I've seen for sale for saltwater aquariums..

This was more for information :)

Thanks.

What are the led spectrums i should be looking for tho? Because i could probably order them for 30$ a pack and build one from scratch... Diodes are easy to link...

Back
Top Bottom