Lights for a planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yilduz

Aquarium Advice Regular
So, I don't really have a real fish shop where I live so I was looking in the hardware section of another store for lights. I found the fluorescent lights but some of them didn't have all the information I was looking for. Some of them had the kelvin but some did not. Of those that did, and of those remaining that had a range of somewhere between 6,500 and 10,000, the wattage wasn't what I was expecting. I've read in this forum that low-medium requires about 2-3 watts per gallon (for me, that's 110 to 165 watts) but the bulbs I was finding were around 30 watts, which means I'd need 4 to 5 bulbs and that just seems like a lot. I did notice, though, that they said something like "power input" or something like that for the wattage. Is that the number I should be looking at, or is there a "power output" or something else I should be paying attention to? There was a light output number on most of them, too, but it was measured in lumens. Am I looking at the right stuff and do these lights just kind of suck, or is there something I'm missing?

You will need to inject CO2 if you put your tank in the 2-3 Wpg range. A two-bulb T8 shop light with 40W daylight spectrum bulbs and decent reflectors will be good enough for med-low plants. 48" T8 bulbs come in either 32W or 40W varieties.

Light is a complicated entity. We use Wpg as a rule of thumb because the actual quantities we care about require expensive equipment to measure.

Back
Top Bottom