Lights In my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

35galhextank

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I know I don't have enough light. But my lid only allows me run one 18 in 15 watt t5 bulb and a 12 in led stunner strip that helps but doesn't give the wattage I need. I want to upgrade the bulb to a 18 watt 10k bulb if the wife would let me eliminate the lid. (Scared the cat might go for a swim) I would buy a dual bulb 24 watt/ a piece I have a 35 gall hex tank so it's pretty deep do you think that light upgrade would work ?

A 35 hex is what? 21 or 22" tall? With a good dual T5HO of the length you describe, you should have medium light. Not enough to grow the carpeting plants on the bottom but enough for a lot of plants available. You could also help them with a good macro & micro fert dosing program and liquid carbon such as Excel or Metricide 14. OS.

solar max high output double t5 light system with 2 20 in 18 watt bulbs 1 bulb is a 1000k and the other in a actinic 03 lamp will this be enough to to grow my Anubis and a few other plants I or should I buy one. Different bulb ? I'm new into the planted tanks and having this hex aquarium buying lights is difficult because it's only 20 inches wide. And 23 tall

Yes, that light would give you a medium light that should grow anubias, ferns and some stem plants fine. A good background fine leaf stem plant well suited for a tall tank like your is called giant Ambulia (Limnophilia Sessiliflora). the 10,000K and Actinic bulbs you list are for saltwater. You could use the 10,000K bulb but the actinic is useless to FW plants. You need to replace it with a bulb between 5000 & 6700K. These bulbs are all called T5HO that fit that fixture. OS.

Ok I'll run out and grab that bulb. What kind of schedule should I have the light on.

You can have your light schedule set for what your activities are. The only real requirement for good growth and least algae is that plants need at least 4 continuous hours of light to have enough photosynthesis accomplished for the day. Six is much better. Light periods after 8 hours is when you get into algae issues even with a good balanced fert program. Keep me posted on your progress. Welcome to the dark side of the force! OS.

Back
Top Bottom