Lights on/off while cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trail_Mix

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've heard that your tank will cycle faster if you leave the lights off because the BB grow better in the dark. Can you just completely leave your light off while cycling or do you need some light?

I've been told the same thing, however IME I've done two weeks without light and then finished the last two weeks with light

The bacteria don't care one way or the other. The reason we suggest keeping the lights off is to inhibit algae from growing during your cycle. Algae love the water parameters during a cycle and will take over with too much lighting.

If you have no plants leave the lights off. Ammonia plus light equals green ugg growing somewhere.

Now I read somewhere that leaving the lights on 24/7 leads to faster cycling. What's the deal? Is it lights or no light? I don't care about algae.

I'm leaving mine on, because simply... I want algae lol. If you're doing bottom feeders, the extra algae gives them plenty to munch on.

You guys are going to regret leaving the lights on, lol. If you want to add algae eaters, the diatoms that are going to show up soon will be a food source for them as well as wafers if you want. Little green spots for BNP's to eat is one thing...but waking up to water the color of pea soup is a different story. The bacteria doesn't require light. I'd say keep them off personally.

eco23 said:
You guys are going to regret leaving the lights on, lol. If you want to add algae eaters, the diatoms that are going to show up soon will be a food source for them as well as wafers if you want. Little green spots for BNP's to eat is one thing...but waking up to water the color of pea soup is a different story. The bacteria doesn't require light. I'd say keep them off personally.

I'm doing on during the day, off at night since the tank is in my room, but (knock on driftwood!) all I have right now is hair algae.

Back
Top Bottom