Lights question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eschie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
For the time being, I'm going to purchase a 20 gallon starter kit. I have some anarcharis and corkscrew Val growing in another tank at home and I was wondering which light setup would work best.

The kit can either come with a 24'' fluorescent tube light or an LED strip of lights with 12 little "nodes" on it. I know they'll both be crappy but which do y'all think would be able to support a few plants better. Sadly, there is no info on the wattage of each so that really sucks.

Don't know about the leds but yoy should be able to swap out the cfls to bulbs that have 6500 k lumens.

Even if its a long tube fluorescent and not incandescent bulbs?

You bet. The lumens and reflector are what matter not the Watts. Do you know if they are t8 or t5?

How can a cfl be swapped for florescent?
I thought the o.p. wanted to keep the original setup and just wanted to know which would be better for plants?
Did you mean swap the entire fixture?

Well, I think it's obvious I mis read the op when I wrote cfl. Ie why I asked if he knew the type of bulb. Shoot me I'm human.

I wasn't being sarcastic. If I came off that way then I apologize. Didn't know if maybe I missed something along the way.
Anyhow, if it were me, I'd go for the florescent fixture then swap the bulb for a more "plant friendly" one of the same wattage of course.
If you could purchase a 2 bulb incandescent fixture then cfl's would be even better yet.

Thank you, you said what I was trying to say clearer.
I've been pulling very, very long hours at work and am tired. So probably a bit sensitive, my apologies as well. :)

Sorry to hijack thread, but in a 10 gallon tank, would 45 watts of one 6500-8000k led light or 2 23 watt 6500k cfls be more efficient? I already have a hood that could accommodate the cfls...:thanks:(y):cool:

For the time being, I'm going to purchase a 20 gallon starter kit. I have some anarcharis and corkscrew Val growing in another tank at home and I was wondering which light setup would work best.

The kit can either come with a 24'' fluorescent tube light or an LED strip of lights with 12 little "nodes" on it. I know they'll both be crappy but which do y'all think would be able to support a few plants better. Sadly, there is no info on the wattage of each so that really sucks.

I'd stick with the Fluorescent light. You can possibly swap the bulb for a 6,500K bulb just check max wattage allowed for fixture.

Back
Top Bottom