Lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spencer1044

Aquarium Advice Freak
Quick question would compact fluorescent light bulbs be okay for a planted tank

For low light plants like java fern and anubias yes.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've grown plants under 'em. I'd swear by them in a 10g if I didn't build my honkin' MH HOB.

I was just wondering because I have a heavily planted 29 gal with a T5 a T8 and a fluorescent lamp on it and for Christmas my mom is getting me a tank but all I know is that it's probably gonna be big (because she said I need to take off half of my desk before Christmas) and the bulbs. I plan on dirting the tank using flourish and root tabs. But I'm not sure the size I think it will be a 29 a 55 or a 65 the tank is from pet smart probably ranging from $150 to $250 so any advice for weather these lights will work or if I need to add more
My tank now: 29 gal
http://s36.photobucket.com/user/spl1999spencer1044/media/imagejpg1_zpsdb35f594.jpg.html
http://s36.photobucket.com/user/spl1999spencer1044/media/imagejpg1_zps5b21a961.jpg.html

I think if your really gonna get into it,..you should get a good light from the get go.. something dimmable and start thinking about co2...that way your not spending 100 bucks or so on something then want to upgrade again in two to three months..IMHO......
Oh , and congrats on the new tank. Looking forward to some build Pics..!!

I think if your really gonna get into it,..you should get a good light from the get go.. something dimmable and start thinking about co2...that way your not spending 100 bucks or so on something then want to upgrade again in two to three months..IMHO......
Oh , and congrats on the new tank. Looking forward to some build Pics..!!

What Thumper828 said;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you're starting with a 10g and if this your first planted tank, nothing is wrong with that economy hood with a pair of 18w CFLs for the first year. Afterwards, you can see what you want to do, and what you need for it.

I've tried Co2 and it does work it really does but I'm just gonna stick with my current way of caring for these tanks I spend so much time on my tanks lol and the one thing I don't use is Co2. But I definitely will post build pictures. I will probably add another bulb onto it if I don't think it is bright enough. But what really worked for my tank and plants was adding dirt under the substrate.

On my 29 I am running a single T8 tube designed for plants. Water wisteria, elodea, and java fern are all growing nicely. I use diy co2 though

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You can use a brighter bulb and reduce brightness to control algae. Overrated if you ask me...

There may not be a lamp at the exact brightness needed, so you can upsize and then dim it down. Even for "regular" archectural luminaires, dimmable ballasts adds another $300+ per fixture, though the bulb is the same.

I just upsize my lamp and just deal with the extra light. :D

I had plants really go nuts under a 13w CFL that had a color temp near 6500k.

When I asked at the time, posting several photos of the specs off the backs of the bulb boxes, I was advised by experienced people here that I could hit high light in a 10 and medium in a 29.

Opinions vary on color temp and converting watts per gallon equivalence. But my experience is that it's absolutely not the case that CFL means low light. In fact I wanted low light with a nice color temp and couldn't get a CFl dim enough.

I think it's the Philips Daylight, or maybe GE reveal, that are 6500k, and narrow enough for basic hoods.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I used to use Fiet 18w bulbs. I think they were 5000K. You can fit a GE 20w or 25w with slight modification. The reflectors in economy hoods do little good, and just block off the light going up. ...though I did realize some gain by taping inside the hood with metal duct tape.

Oh I like the idea of reflectors I might just do that with my other tanks

New update so she just told me it is a 10 gal im thinking either the sea clear one or the hexagon from petsmart but she said it comes with 2 cfls so I think that should be enough light. Lol trying to trick me into think I'm getting a 55 gal nice try mom. But I plan on stocking it with yellow shrimp, a honey gourami, and several fancy guppies. What plants would you recommend for the shrimp. I have never owned shrimp and I would like to know what I need for them to be happy in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom