Ligthing...Mini lights from coralife

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The watt per gallon rule is not very accurate for smaller tanks. I would suggest a bit more light than that.

the shape of the bulbs don't allow all the light to make it in the tank. double up on wattage when using those, especially on a smaller tank.

If the actinic bulb is blue (i think it is?) it will promote algae growth and won't contribute to plant growth. BUT i'm not sure if that bulb is for sure blue, just a warning!

I have used the mini-freshwater aqualight on a 5.5 gallon for six months. I'm growing dwarf hairgrass in it and it is doing very well. I don't think it would be enough for a ten gallon though. Coralife "aqualights" come in a 20" size that works well, gives off 28 watts. They don't cost that much more than the mini, though the only place I've found to buy them online is BigAl's.

tinytanks are cool though. I'm starting a new brackish one with the mini, filled with lilaeopsis brasilensis...

10 gallons is 20" isn't it?
I couldn't find the 20" coralife fixture sold with the freshwater bulb, had to buy one seperately...

Wow thanks for all the info..I haven't logged in for a while! I think I may just not go plants on my 10 gal and end up puying a whole new aquarium we will see though!

Back
Top Bottom