lily and hornwort questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliffz

Aquarium Advice Freak
folks,
In my efforts to re-aquascape and "fill in" my tank, I bought Hornwort and a bulb lily.
Question--The hornwort feels actually "prickly". It came with a lead weight attached. I assume I remove weight and plant stem in substrate? It quite a huge bunch. Should I separate into individual plants or clump together?
2nd question--Do I have to bury lily bulb or can I half bury it? Or leave it on top of substrate?
Thanks

Hornwort is, most of the time, used as a floating plant. You'll notice it will not develop a root sytem and will not stay in the substrate by its own means. Anything planted in the substrate will rot. Thats does not mean it can't be used like a stem plant though. Just keep it weighed down.

Bury half the lily bulb. Usually the smaller or pointed end of the bulb is the bottom.

I "plant" my hornwort by burying part of it in river rocks (1" or so). I would remove the weight & seperate the bunch as tightly packed stems will rot. Ditto for stems packed in dense substrate. But weight dowm in loose gravel/rock, mine seems to do fine (prob because of better water circulation). They will grow modified leaves in the buried section to act somewhat as an anchor. OTOH, you can also let hornwort float at the surface ... all depends on what look you are after.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom