Limescale in a fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stevieb2k11

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a build up of limeacLe onvthe top of my glass in my tank and on the lid. I was just wonderin the best way get rid if it if any while my fish are still init
Cheers

You could always use a razor just have something to catch the scrapings. I think any of the chemical methods would be very unsafe as they rely on acids mostly.

I have been told about whire vinegar is that anygood or still unsafe and is thelimescale unsafe if i fill the water up to that level

Is the tank empty or in use ?

I have very hard water and am always fighting build up the cover is easy I just take it off the tank make a paste of baking soda and water then rub it all over the glass panels let it sit for about 30 min and wash the paste off with vinegar (my apartment has a mop sink if you do not use the tub it's messy) as far as the inside of the tank when it has fish inside it depends on the fish if they are acid loving fish like tetras try rubbing a slice of Lemmon over the area right before you do a water change and see if the fish will eat it I had some mollies that loved oranges

I have been told about whire vinegar is that anygood or still unsafe and is thelimescale unsafe if i fill the water up to that level

Filling the water to the top of the tank is fine it's not harmful just ugly, the lime scale came from water evaporating and leaving it behind so its just putting things back into the water that came out of it. Depending on how bad it its it can have an impact on the water hardness and ph if you have soft water fish it may be an issue if you have hard water fish not so much, and if it is crusty and flakes off it makes a bad noise when sucked into your filter so better to get it out of the tank

As long as you rinse it really well. If its set in the vinegar/lemon juice probably won't work but if they're recent you should be okay

Back
Top Bottom