Lionfish tankmates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tjara03

Aquarium Advice Freak
What are possible tankmates for a dwarf lionfish in a 50 gal tank??
i have two clarkii clowns and a dwarf hawkfish.. yes? no?
TIA

I think you might be full on the bioload if not over. Lionfish are messy eaters regardless of size

thanks for the info... what is a good combo of marine life for this size aquarium? TIA

I agree with one dwarf and three other fish, your pretty much maxed out where you are. Even if you had room for another small fish, there's a chance it would get eaten. As it is, when your dwarf reaches his max length of 7", your other fish are at risk.

I'm a little slow with the submit button. lol

If you didn't have the lion, you could add with your clowns and hawkfish, a dwarf angel and maybe a blenny to the mix. I think that would be a nice combo.

Oh, and welcome to AA :wave:

thanks!! thats awesome. i wanna get a flame angel and any suggestions on a good blenny? what about cleaners? TIA!!

My favorite blennies would be the lawnmower and the bicolor. Both pretty hardy fish who will help clean up algae. But, there are so many others out there depending on what you are looking for. liveaquaria.com has a good many listed. Be sure to check the diet area on the site if you are looking for just algae blennies. Not all are herbivores like the two I mentioned. Other cleaners could include astrea or margarita snails, some nassarius snails and a brittle or serpent star. You could try adding some cleaner and peppermint shrimp but your hawkfish may pick at them.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=23

I agree with fluff but one question I have, is this a reef tank or will it be in the future. If it is then I might skip the angel. I had to get rid of my flame for nipping in public. Sorry.

Back
Top Bottom