Lionhead Care Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaGal

Aquarium Advice Addict
Alright. I give up. I got a goldfish from Walmart named Pudgie, who I thought was an oranda, and therefore researched oranda care. Then, I posted her story in the general discussion area, and was told she's a lionhead. So, I started to research lionhead care, just to be sure I was doing what I was supposed to. And, with vastly conflicting results, I give up. I'm asking here.

One website said that they get to be about 6 inches long and require a 20-30 gal tank. Another website said they grow 10 inches long and require a 15-20 gal tank. Yes, those are in line with the websites. The smaller tank with the bigger fish.

So, what do all of you recommend? She does not have her hat yet (yes, I know it's called a wen, but I like calling it a hat), and I don't know when she'll start to get it. I've been feeding Omega One sinking pellets, which say they're 33% crude protein. I have her in a tank that I know is too small, and I'm getting her a bigger one once my new job starts, which should be sometime this month.

I'm looking for any advice. She started out badly, and I want her to be a happy, healthy, spoiled brat fish. Lol.

I would get Pudgie a 29 to 46 gallon aquarium with lots of filtration, I would get an aquaclear 70 or an aquaclear 110. I never liked gravel with my oranda because she produced so much waste its much easier to clean without gravel but you can add some sinking plants or driftwood to not make it look so plain. You can add gravel if you want to though, and if your on a budget go with fluorescent lighting instead of LEDS. What I also like to do is get flower pots and put gravel in them with a live plant or two if your fish doesnt eat them lol. A bubbler is optional. If theres anything else you need to know just ask.
Good luck!

Brian

I would get Pudgie a 29 to 46 gallon aquarium with lots of filtration, I would get an aquaclear 70 or an aquaclear 110. I never liked gravel with my oranda because she produced so much waste its much easier to clean without gravel but you can add some sinking plants or driftwood to not make it look so plain. You can add gravel if you want to though, and if your on a budget go with fluorescent lighting instead of LEDS. What I also like to do is get flower pots and put gravel in them with a live plant or two if your fish doesnt eat them lol. A bubbler is optional. If theres anything else you need to know just ask.
Good luck!

Brian

With her, gravel and a bubbler is a requirement. When she wants attention, she throws gravel at the side of the tank I'm closest to. She greatly enjoys putting her butt in the bubbles and letting it blow her up that way. I know. Quirky fish. And she does eat plants. If you can picture a fish slurping java moss the way kids do spaghetti noodles, you have Pudgie.

Can I see some pics of pudgie and her tank?

Yes when I get back home here in an hour or so. She's a lot healthier now that she's with me and my boyfriend. I just wanna do all I can to keep her happy and healthy. I intentionally put her in a tank I knew was way too small. I wanted to see if I would like goldfish before spending hundreds more on a tank at the time I had no room for. I never thought I would like them until I got one. Now we have more room for a bigger tank and can take better care of her. Please don't get mad or judge me about the small tank. I had a plan for it and right now don't have the money to implement it, though I will be starting my job here soon and will after that.

With her, gravel and a bubbler is a requirement. When she wants attention, she throws gravel at the side of the tank I'm closest to. She greatly enjoys putting her butt in the bubbles and letting it blow her up that way. I know. Quirky fish. And she does eat plants. If you can picture a fish slurping java moss the way kids do spaghetti noodles, you have Pudgie.

Aaaaand that's why I love goldfish! They do tend to be quirky fish with tons of personality. She sounds adorable!

Aaaaand that's why I love goldfish! They do tend to be quirky fish with tons of personality. She sounds adorable!

She's a brat is what she is. She's funny. My boyfriend and I will lay down to sleep and next thing you know there is the sound of gravel hitting the tank wall. Always wanting attention. As long as she isn't a drama queen we might be able to handle her. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom