lionhead goldfish problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amitnarain

Aquarium Advice Freak
hello i have a lionhead goldfish. i put in a tilapia in the same tank and it nearly killed it. i separated the tilapia now.

but my gf has nipped off fins and very little scale left on its body.

and it seems normal apart fron that it is staying motionless at the bottom of the quarantine tank since i put it and not eating anything. (since 1.5 days now)

i added some salt to the tank.

but what can i do more?

i dont want to lose such a sexy fish. plz help.

Moved to Unhealthy Fish

I'm not a goldie person, but I think Melafix is okay--it's an all natural cure all for nipped fins and good for preventing secondary infection. Adding a cichlid to a goldie tank is very risky as you found out. Right now the goldie is very stressed (fish can die from the way stress affects their bodies) and you need to be doing PWC daily on the QT tank because secondary infection will be problematic if precautionary measures are not taken.

I thought that we talked about how it was a bad idea to mix goldfish and cichlids in the same tank, previously?

Regardless, melafix will help...but the fish sounds rather terminal. I'll be hoping that it pulls through. In the mean time, remember....cichlids and goldfish = trouble.

i found the tilapia so cool that i could not resist. i will keep them separate from now on of course. and i will look for the melafix.

thanks

Goldfish can only be housed with other goldfish. No algea eaters and no tropical fish. You;ll need another tank to keep him. I hope a little salt will help. A healthy goldfish will generally recover fine if in good water conditions.

Salt helps. You might get medicated food in case of secondary infections. Jungle and geltek have medicated food and they're fairly common at a local LFS. If you have an open sore you might clean it with iodine or hydrogen peroxide and add topical antibiotic.
****link on how to clean ulcer or fin rot

Look at some of the other articles for goldfish info on that site.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom