Lionhead orandas or Ranchu?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank120

Aquarium Advice Freak
Mr. Wiggles was sold to me as a Lionhead, but I am starting to believe he is a Ranchu. His body shape is correct for either type but he has an extremely short tail. He swims very awkwardly because of his stumpy tail. He is so funny. I have read that the Lionheads and Ranchus are closely related and can often be confused, one for the other. He is still extremely young, so he does not really exhibit the very slight differences in the two types. He has barely started to grow a wen. He does have a very arched back with an egg shaped body. I don't even know for sure if there is such a thing as a calico Ranchu.

I have attached a picture, but it is not a very close one. He tends to be shy. Please excuse the fact that I didn't get the inside of the glass scrubbed today. I spent too much time changing the water and getting the motor assembly off to clean the impeller. Inside walls. If you need, I will get better pictures tomorrow. The third picture is my orange Lionhead Oranda for comparison.

Sent from my HTC first using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1390355958614.jpg
    1390355958614.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 1390356032569.jpg
    1390356032569.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 100
  • 1390356050543.jpg
    1390356050543.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 106
Time will tell! He is very ranchu-ish in his build with the tightly tucked tail. And, yes, there are ranchu-lionhead crosses. Some people call them 'lionchus' but you are really splitting hairs to figure out the differences and I honestly do not have the personal experience with this breed type to tell! Curious to see how he looks in another year or so! :)

Mr. Wiggles turned out to be a girl, so it is Mrs. Wiggles. She is getting quite large. She is definitely a Ranchu. There is no wen. I love watching her antics. Yesterday, she managed to get a whole spinach leaf out of the clip. She carried it around for 2 hours trying to suck the whole thing down ....lol

Sent from my HTC first using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Up to date - Mr. Wiggles is a Mrs. Wiggles and IS a Ranchu. Boy is she growing fast.

Attachments

• 3-15-14 (37).jpg
    3-15-14 (37).jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 74
Back
Top Bottom