Liquid Carbon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Planterjonas

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is it true that dosing flourish excel or liquid carbon can reduce algae levels? In my mind, I actually would think it would cause more algae because of the available nutrients. Is it just said for people to buy the product, or can it actually reduce algae? Thanks

Yes, by two mechanisms.

1) It promotes stronger plant growth, and better plant growth usually means less algae for reasons that are not well understood.

2) It's actively algaecidal in that it can kill some types of algae outright not unlike antibiotics can kill bacteria. This is mostly true with hair algaes like staghorn or BBA.

Yes, by two mechanisms. 1) It promotes stronger plant growth, and better plant growth usually means less algae for reasons that are not well understood. 2) It's actively algaecidal in that it can kill some types of algae outright not unlike antibiotics can kill bacteria. This is mostly true with hair algaes like staghorn or BBA.
Ok, thanks for the info

If you decide to use it be sure to use it daily as it only stays in solution 12-24 hours. Also you need to use the proper amount for your tank set up. In high production tanks that have higher light, a lot of plants, especially fast growing stem plants, or tanks with a high bio-load, all need to be dosed higher amounts of liquid carbon.

Liquid Carbon and Algae

Is it true that dosing flourish excel or liquid carbon can reduce algae levels? In my mind, I actually would think it would cause more algae because of the available nutrients. Is it just said for people to buy the product, or can it actually reduce algae? Thanks

Hello Plant...

Some time ago I dosed the API version of liquid carbon and found the little bit of algae in my tanks was unaffected. I used the liquid for a few months and really didn't notice much of a change in my floating or planted aquarium plants either. Most of the plants I keep require only subdued lighting and seem to do fine with just the fertilizers the fish produce.

If you have an algae issue, then follow and aggressive water change routine and limit the amount you feed. A little makes the tank look natural and it supplements your fishes' diet.

B

Hello Plant... Some time ago I dosed the API version of liquid carbon and found the little bit of algae in my tanks was unaffected. I used the liquid for a few months and really didn't notice much of a change in my floating or planted aquarium plants either. Most of the plants I keep require only subdued lighting and seem to do fine with just the fertilizers the fish produce. If you have an algae issue, then follow and aggressive water change routine and limit the amount you feed. A little makes the tank look natural and it supplements your fishes' diet. B

Ok thanks for the info :)

What kind of lights do you have? If you have actinic lights take them out. Leaving lights on for more than 10hrs is bad...

Back
Top Bottom