Liquid Supplement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rxblade123

Aquarium Advice Freak
Kent Botanica Grow I was wondering if that includes the Macronutrients. I don't want to have the hassle of dosing 3 kinds of macronutrients and then dosing the micronutrients. If I use Kent Botanica Grow will I be able to avoid that?

The description seems to indicate it includes macros and micros, and is meant to be a one dosing product. This is true of PMDD pre-mix as well, assuming your tank does not need phosphate. Be aware many find one size fit-all solutions inferior to dosing for their tanks, either through testing or observations, and that this becomes more important as light increases. (I am one of those many, but it can be done.) HTH

I see. My lighting is about 2 WPG so I don't think I would have to worry too much. I'm going to give it a try though.

Oh... oh well. Then I'll get seperate ones then. So theres Nitrogen, Phosphate and what else? What's better Seachem or Kent?

I always hear dry mixes are better becuase of some reason I don't know(LOL)and that they are way cheaper I guess.I use Seachem but don't see too much change in my plants I want to change to Kent.The only products that I would reccomend from Seachem that has to do with planted aquaria is flourite,root tabs,and fourish excel;but then thats my opinion.HTH

Plant growth depends on may factors. Assuming the tank is not nutrient limited (macros, micros, trace) lighting and co2 go a long way in determining speed plants grow. Keep in mind that some plants (hygrophillia species) grow much faster than other (anubias). People use dry mixes due to price and they can taylor EXACTLY what is going in the tank. A fert that has N and P may not be in the ratio they want in there tank. Some like to keep their nitrates lower for more reddening of certain plants. I keep my PO4 a little higher (2-2.5ppm) than some to keep gsa away. And when dosing a 55 gallon tank or larger, its just not effective to use Seachem products. I can spend $30.00 on dry ferts from a source like Greg Watson (csm+b, KNO3, KH2PO4. I don't use K2SO4) and that will last me well over 2 years. I can't even come close buying a commercial product line like that.

Simpte - do you find the carbon source mentioned in Kent Botanica comparable to Flourish Excel? Only curious. Thanks.

dry mixes are cheaper and easier to dose if you use Chuck's calculator. Knowing that 1tsp will give you a 10ppm increase is helpful. With SeaChem stuff it's a little weak, and there's no handy chart to tell you that 1capful is 10ppm in a 20gal tank...they only have guidelines.

so for small tanks, you can get by with Seachem, or kent..but on anything over 20gal, you should use dry ferts.

Good example, it takes about a half bottle (2 full oz) of Seachem's potassium to give a 10ppm raise in a 75gallon tank. that's very pricey at $7 a bottle, compared to $1 for a pound of K2SO4, where you only need 1tsp to give 12ppm of potassium in the same tank.

Back
Top Bottom