List some low light plants plz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lance M.

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was just wondering what low light plants there are. I have some type of amazon sword that grows really fast in lower light levels and since it's got some more light it's leaves are a lighter green then they were, but I guess it's doing just fine since it's already produced another plant.

I found a list with links to pics... Low Light List I've heard some good things about this seller... whether or not the list is accurate i couldn't tell you. You might want to take a look and see if there is anything you like and do some more research on those particular plants. I guess it depends on how "low light" you mean.

HTH

Nystina

Nystina said:
I found a list with links to pics... Low Light List I've heard some good things about this seller... whether or not the list is accurate i couldn't tell you. You might want to take a look and see if there is anything you like and do some more research on those particular plants. I guess it depends on how "low light" you mean.

HTH

Nystina

some of them certainly look intriging... like the tiger lotuses but I don't remember pennywort being listed as a low light plant at plantgeek.net might be listed as a medium-low though.

www.plantgeek.net has plants organized by their light requirements but the sites down right now.

aponogeton and water lily bulbs sold in wal-mart. I have had excellent results with them in my 29 gallon..I just have 15 Watts of light there.

Mostly what people consider low light plants are Anubias, ferns, mosses, and Cryptocorynes, (some, not all). Everything else is highly subjective to ones own interpretation. For example, Aponogetons and Tiger Lotus. Under proper light and conditions these plants grow to be huge. Aponogetons leaves grow to over 2 feet, and one full grown Tiger Lotus can nearly fill up a 29 gallon aquarium. I have seen some WEB sites list Cabomba and Anacharis as a low light plant, which is kinda ridiculous. A sword plant under low light might not die and stay six inches tall for a year, but under proper conditions would reach almost two feet in height and have over 30 leaves on it within six months. I would disagree with over half that list for true low light plants, but an online dealer like that doesn't really define what low light is, and many people don't even agree on what the minimum should be. I found if you have a minimum of 2 watts of flourescent light per gallon of water, you can grow most plants except the most light demanding. But I still call that low light. If you have less than that, your best bet for healthy plants is any Anubias, water ferns, aquatic mosses, and some Cryptocoryne species, (mostly the common Sri Lanka species like wendtii, lucens, lutea) Most other plants would struggle.

Back
Top Bottom