Little help getting started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maniac1101

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So im new to this and messed up big right away didn't do any research and cycled my tank in about a week due to over population so im trying to start right and need a little help to get going maybe im just looking too far into it and over thinking it here it goes tho...

Ok I have a 10gal tank unknown brand handed down to me...

Aqueon quiteflow filter

Heater is automatic +-2 degrees of 78 degrees

If you need media or decorations let me know

Ok so I started this time with one marble molly he was in the tank for about 2 weeks with a red wag platty I have been treating the tank with a cycle kit containing the following
Microbe-lift Aquatic stress relief, special blend, and nite-out ll

Using api master freshwater test kit my ph is at 7.6 ammonia is at 2ppm nitrite is at 2ppm and nitrate is at 5ppm the molly has passed just today but I can't seem to get the cycle to finish any help would be appreciated very much for my sake and my finance she's about to kill me over this tank because im always checking and wondering about it

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Usually it works best to just let the tank cycle without any additives . This can take weeks. Don t add anymore fish until your readings are 0 ammonia , 0 nitrites & 10-20 nitrates. Then add fish slowly. Are you doing water changes?
Can t help with the GF :).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well I was told not to till about 4 weeks in but after reading a few posts and the guides from the main starter post im going to start pwc's tomorrow

Yeah unless you are doing a fishless cycle you need to do water changes. I have successfully done two fish in cycles but you have to he prepared to change water daily and potentially hold off food.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I just did a 25% change about 2 gallons going to let it sit for a little then retest my water

Ok update from the water change ammonia is down to 1ppm nitrite is still 2ppm and nitrate is 10ppm I think I miss judged on the op ph is still sitting at 7.5-7.6

Those are better levels for your fish.
I know it s confusing, I was lucky & had daily help from someone on here.
Higher temps speed things up, research the high temp for the fish you have, it may be 78, but if they can tolerate higher, increase 1 degree every 24 hrs. Let the GF know that once the tank is stable, testing is more like once a week :)

Yea I never thought it was this involved till after I started and had no clue ill be doing another wc either tomorrow or Wednesday depending on testing then I leave for 4 days so ill have someone watching it idk if they will change it for me tho fingers crossed if it doesn't work out and the red wag dies Im going to drain clean and try a fishless cycle ill keep updates posted incase anyone has advice so far this is more help then I've found else ware and it makes sense not just do this and wait more of the do this this will happen here's why which is what I like I hate not knowing why im doing something

Doesnt look good maybe me but the platty looks poor hes laying on the bottom or in the fake enenime pretty motionless untill sparked by either food or net (thought he was dead when I got home from work) levels are still the same from after my pwc this morning nothing changed from those readings anything I can do to hel poo bring him back and save him or do you think hes too far gone

Pics

Attachments

• 1407918764549.jpg
    1407918764549.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 1407918795465.jpg
    1407918795465.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 69
I ve had Playty s just up & die. They have short life spans ( 2 yrs I think), so if u bought him as an adult,,,, but, try giving him a couple of blanched, deshelled peas.

Platty died im on vacation now

Sorry to hear.
Hope u have a great time tho.

So just as a follow up, the platty died before I left for vacation, I left the tank running while gone, checked levels when I got back seemed to settle out a little, acquired 2 fair gold fish we won and well tank is cycled tests last night after 1 week with the goldfish show ammonia at 0 nitrite 0 nitrate between 0-5ppm so Yay its done....

Now the bad news im probably moving by the end of September. .Boo is there anything I can do to make the transition easy or not also not all bad news I may be acquiring a 55 gal tank fingers crossed which Im going to run both but fishless cycle the 55 if I get it to make it easy anyhow just an update for everyone

When you get your new one I you transfer all the water from your old one over with filter( even though you will have a filter in your new one this will make it less likely to go into a big cycle if any at all, that's what I did when I upgrade my fish tanks, basically of your old tank is cycled, you want as much of the bacteria from that tank In your new one,

When you move put as much of the water in something that is watertight and won't break with the filter that way your fish can go straight in when you get to new place and won't need cycling(hope that made some sense, I think quicker then I type lol)

Sent from my fish phone

Ok so just an update on how things are going.

No move yet so still running the original 10gal tank my 2 goldfish are doing great water levels are hold perfect changed out the gravel for some more natural gravel also added in some light grass and will be adding a java tonight god a sucker to help with the slight algae I have also added in one small bala shark who has joined the goldfish pack and loves swimming with the very active goldfish. I have a small piece of drift wood soaking so it can be added along with a lava rock so I can Chang things are a little ill post pics up tonight when I get home from work thanks for all the help and getting me through the tough parts everyone

Fish in this post will post tank pics next

Attachments

• 1410073524490.jpg
    1410073524490.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 1410073539111.jpg
    1410073539111.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 1410073565659.jpg
    1410073565659.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 1410073594115.jpg
    1410073594115.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 40
Tank so far more to be changed I have a lava rock and drift wood to go in and things to come out

Attachments

• 1410073685898.jpg
    1410073685898.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 58
Back
Top Bottom