Little specs in the water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TigerBarbs

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 29 gallon fresh tank with fine sand in the bottom. I'm running a hagen aquaclear power filter with carbon, a sponge, and the porcelain stones for bacterial growth. There are tons of little specs drifting around. I guess they are too small for the sponge to pick up and I thought that the bacteria on the porcelain stones would catch them but it's not. I tried stuff that clears cloudy water but I got nothing. It's not cloudy though just those specs. I can only see them when the hood light is on. I want to get rid of them!!!! Any thoughts?

How long has the tank been set up and how long ago did you put the sand in? Might be some unsettled sand?

Is your tank near any air ducts? It could be dust?

Hang a Marineland HOT filter on the tank with the Micron cartridge and it will remove the debris in the water.

Oh wow. Okay, so it's not the sand. Unless you didn't properly rinse it?

And it's not near any air vents? Those can knock dust into the tank, especially if you haven't changed your air filter lately.

Google came up with it possibly being microorganisms. Not sure if this is valid or not.

It's by a vent but the tank has a full hood. So maybe it's micro organisms. But wouldn't the bacteria in the filter media catch it

Back
Top Bottom