Live Brine Shrimp and Fishless Cycle Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buminbeer2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, following some excellent advice on this site, my 29 gallon tank started it's fishless cycle today, yay! $500.00 and three months of research later...But it appears 3 teaspoons of pure ammonia from a post on this site is way too much, over 8ppm. This was the Fishless Cycling For Dummies article. (I DO not hold Bob R, responsible, hehe).
Did a 50% water change, and still off the charts or reading 8ppm from the api kit I have? Will that start lowering in a day or two to get to the 3-5ppm as suggested? Do I need a much larger water change? Will good bacteria form or have I killed them before they had a chance :)? Also, do I need to keep it about 3ppm in a week or two every 24 hours? I still don't completly understand the whole thing after reading it 10 times. I'm thinking I probably should have added less then a teaspoon :)

Next question. I bought a shrimpery kit with the San Fancisco shrimp included (they did not carry eggs at the pet place) just to get the eggs as I'll have a DYI system in place. What is the main difference in GSL shrimp and the San Franciso shrimp, so I know what eggs to order. By the way I will be breeding Moscow Purple Guppies and have 2 trios on stand by until the tank cycles in a few weeks. I'm wondering if one is better for future fry and one is better for adults? I will only feed them live shrimp a few times a week as a treat along with freeze dried tubiflex and bloodworms, flakes, and other foods to mix it up for them. I think I over did it by buying seven different foods, excitement took over.
Thanks for so much help getting into this hobby.
Signed, Scott aka newb...

I'd let it sit for a day and retest. If it is still at 8 ppm, do a 50% change, wait a day, test, repeat until at your target.

SF Bay is a brand name. GSL might be too, but they are the same critter. BBS are mainly needed for fry and nano fish, but adult fish (angels & tetra lose their minds) will usually enjoy the treat too.

buminbeer2 said:
Ok, following some excellent advice on this site, my 29 gallon tank started it's fishless cycle today, yay! $500.00 and three months of research later...But it appears 3 teaspoons of pure ammonia from a post on this site is way too much, over 8ppm. This was the Fishless Cycling For Dummies article. (I DO not hold Bob R, responsible, hehe).
Did a 50% water change, and still off the charts or reading 8ppm from the api kit I have? Will that start lowering in a day or two to get to the 3-5ppm as suggested? Do I need a much larger water change? Will good bacteria form or have I killed them before they had a chance :)? Also, do I need to keep it about 3ppm in a week or two every 24 hours? I still don't completly understand the whole thing after reading it 10 times. I'm thinking I probably should have added less then a teaspoon :)

Next question. I bought a shrimpery kit with the San Fancisco shrimp included (they did not carry eggs at the pet place) just to get the eggs as I'll have a DYI system in place. What is the main difference in GSL shrimp and the San Franciso shrimp, so I know what eggs to order. By the way I will be breeding Moscow Purple Guppies and have 2 trios on stand by until the tank cycles in a few weeks. I'm wondering if one is better for future fry and one is better for adults? I will only feed them live shrimp a few times a week as a treat along with freeze dried tubiflex and bloodworms, flakes, and other foods to mix it up for them. I think I over did it by buying seven different foods, excitement took over.
Thanks for so much help getting into this hobby.
Signed, Scott aka newb...

Hi buminbeer! That's awesome you're doing a fishless cycle. I just wrote an article that can hopefully answer lots of your questions, check it out if you've got a couple minutes - http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

Thank you Eco!!! That is the clearest guide for Fishless cycling I have seen thus far. Good thing I went to 10 different places, before buying the ammonia at Ace. About the only thing I did not see, was the mistake I made. How much to add? Is it 1/4 teasppn per 10 gallons, a 1/2? I know it's not three teaspoons per 30 gallons, hehe.
Thanks again.

HN1, thanks for the reply. I did not know that the brine shrimp were well, brine shrimp.

Unfortunately, there is no x number of drops = 4ppm of ammonia. Different bottles are different strengths. The ammonia I initially used was not very potent and it would take over 200 drops to get up to 4ppm! The Ace brand is much stronger, but can still differ in strength bottle to bottle. The ammonia in a bottle is actually a gas that is bubbled through distilled water. The longer it has been open more gas has escaped and it gets weaker. It just takes a bit of experimenting. I'll see if I can find some sort of reference for that brand.

I don't see the reference I've seen before. I can ask a buddy later, but I recommend you just experiment by adding a little, waiting 20 minutes, testing, adding a little more, waiting 20 minutes,etc... It will likely be a different amount for you anyway.

Hi and welcome Scott. It took 5 ml (1 tea spoon) of the ammonia to get my 55 gallon up to 5 ppm. I made almost same mistake as you initially. No big deal a couple of water changrs and you'll be where you need to be. Welcome and keep in touch.

Deckape said:
Hi and welcome Scott. It took 5 ml (1 tea spoon) of the ammonia to get my 55 gallon up to 5 ppm. I made almost same mistake as you initially. No big deal a couple of water changrs and you'll be where you need to be. Welcome and keep in touch.

Haha, I looked through like 5000 of your posts to find where you'd said that before.

eco23 said:
Haha, I looked through like 5000 of your posts to find where you'd said that before.

Said what...the dosage?

Back
Top Bottom