Live food for your aquarium.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Asbestos

Aquarium Advice Activist
I want to get some live food for my aquariums; the problem is that I need something that I can breed. None of my local fish stores have anything alive other than feeder goldfish. So I want to know if it’s a good idea or if any one has had any success with, black worms, or flightless fruit flies. And if all else fails it seems an easy option would be regular earth worms, as in the ones that you can buy for fishing.

Have you tried a bait shop for feeder guppies or gambusia? I set up a tank for breeding feeder guppies. Or what about brine shrimp?

As for "growing" black worms, I'd thought about doing that but it's expensive.

No i have not but ill look into it, I think the easy way to go about it would be regular earth worms, just the kind you buy for fishing. And just the start up for black worms is ridiculous they are just worms lol.

I'd go with the small red wrigglers. These are sold to make compost worm castings, so you could probably find them at an eco-friendly website or a local garden center. They are extremely easy to take care of, stay very small so almost anything can eat them, and are very nutritious (as long as you feed them a good variety of food).

I've been tossing the idea around for a while but only have guppies and platy's, but I'm sure my dwarf puffer would LOVE them!

I found some California black worms at a family owned pet shop, just was out of my way, im trying to raise them now. I doubt it will go that well, but my fish do love to eat them.

Back
Top Bottom