Live plant in a 3 Gallon tank ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swanandmokashi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So guys I have finalised on getting a single male betta for my 3 GAL FW. My tank is still cycling(fishless).

I would like to ask a question : Is there any possibility of keeping a live plant in this tank? I asked the guy at PETCO and he said the tank is too small to have a live plant as the fish should get all the oxygen it can get.
Is this true?

And also if I can have a small live plant in there , at what stage of cycling should I add the plant?

TIA

I have live plants in both my 5 gal and my 3 gal. Betta fish breathe air from the surface not from the water itself first of all. Second, plants use CO2 not O2 to my understanding.

I would wait until you're done cycling to add the plant, but that's just from my personal experience. I had better luck waiting than with sticking them in cycling tanks.

Kerrinne said:
I have live plants in both my 5 gal and my 3 gal. Betta fish breathe air from the surface not from the water itself first of all. Second, plants use CO2 not O2 to my understanding.

I would wait until you're done cycling to add the plant, but that's just from my personal experience. I had better luck waiting than with sticking them in cycling tanks.

Agreed that they use CO2 - for breathing ! but they use O2 for photosynthesis -> to prepare food

Possibly so, but regardless if you're just going to have a betta in there the issue of O2 in the water is moot since he breathes on the surface. If you added other types of fish, then you might need to worry about O2 in the water.

My betta does incredibly well with Chain Sword Narrow Leaf plant and Anacharis. I have heard they also do well with Micro Swords.

Kerrinne said:
Possibly so, but regardless if you're just going to have a betta in there the issue of O2 in the water is moot since he breathes on the surface. If you added other types of fish, then you might need to worry about O2 in the water.
no betta is the only one that will be the resident of this tank :)

There is no problem planting a tiny tank. If you have fluorescent fixture over it you should be in good shape, as long as you select a plant that will stay small, or just keep on top of pruning. The plant provides oxygen as a waste product for the fish, and the fish provides CO2 as a waste product for the plant. I have a planted 5-gal and inject CO2 and have to really keep on top of the plant growth. I think your betta will be very happy to have a plant in there. You could certainly use anacharis to start out and see how it goes. It will depend upon how much light you have.

I have java moss, java fern, a small crypt (walkerii), anacharis, creeping charlie (aquatic mint) and clover. I am sure a Marimo ball would look cool in a small tank as well, and they do not have any special requirements.

thank you everyone for your advice .I will research into the Java moss or fern.
So the moss needs a driftwood or rock ? Becuase I have neither in my tank

Moss can float, if you have nothing in there, but it looks very nice when it is tied to something and allowed to attach itself. I have a hunk of driftwood in mine, as well as a couple of river stones. The java fern will attach itself to gravel if you shove some of it into the substrate (moss might do that too, never tried).

which brings me to the next question !?> can i have a small rock in the tank ? Again the guy at PETCO adviced me against. That way I can have the moss on it

Sorry if I ask too many questions .I am newbie and have been burnt in the past becuase of newbie mistakes :(

No reason not to have a rock. I think fish are happier with structures of some kind in the tank, as they do not feel so out in the open and exposed. Avoid calciferous rock (coral, for example) or shells if you do not want to increase the hardness of the tank water, but otherwise a river rock would look very nice in there. You can get fake rocks made for aquariums also.

You do not ask too many questions! No such thing :wink:

I had no luck with my java fern. :( Everything else seems to thrive in my tanks, but I can't get the java fern to do anything but just exist in any tank. Is Java moss easier than java fern?

My java fern grows like gangbusters in all my tanks, high light and low light alike. My java moss seems much slower growing, but seems to be doing fine. I wonder what the problem is with your java fern, Kerrinne. I would try it, if you can find some of the moss. I can't always find it around here.

Whatever rock or ornament you put in your tank, just keep in mind that bettas are very klutzy and their fins are very fragile.
Avoid anything with sharp, jagged edges - like slate.
I think some nice, round river stones and a few plants would make a relaxing environment for you and your betta. 8)

Back
Top Bottom