Live plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A lot of factors will go into this. Did you buy the right kind for your tank? Did you use root tabs or ferts?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have amazon swords and java ferns. And I didn't use either root tabs or ferts

Java fern cannot be planted. It's roots must stay above the subtract. Attach them to drift wood or other objects. Some say swords requires root tabs.

I could be wrong. I boiled my DW for 9 hours. Maybe I just over due everything.

I just purchased natural Mopani Wood from my LFS. Directions just said to soak for a few days, change the water often to help reduce tannins in my tank then I can add it. But is boiling important to kill off bacteria or???
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408915805.072419.jpg

There shouldn't be any bacteria on store bough DW just dust and other warehouse stuff. Boiling is just faster then leaving it in water.

Java fern can be planted as long as only the roots are buried, the rhizome must be above the sand or it will die. Are the leaves of the sword plants short and round or long and pointed? The short round leaves are emersed growth from being grown hydroponically, they will die off as the plant adjusts to being submerged. They are also heavy root feeders, so to keep them healthy you will need root tabs and make sure that you don't bury the crown of the sword or it will die.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

As for the ferns I moved them onto drift wood and it looks like the roots are starting to form into it. I haven't purchased root tabs yet Bc no stores around me carry them. So I have to purchase online but I just haven't yet

If you are able to get your hands on them they'll definitely help with your swords. Mine will turn yellow and get holes from deficiencies without them, and are beautiful and green with them.

I gotta find them soon then. Out of the 7 plant groups I have I probably had to cut 2 leafs off each one

If the majority of your leaves are green and healthy, that's not so bad. Mine are lush and healthy but I still have to pinch off the older leaves as they yellow when new leaves grow from the center.

Back
Top Bottom