Live Rock and Roots.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank2379

Aquarium Advice Addict
Alright I might be asking something dumb but, Does Live Rock Grown Roots? I am thinking yes since it's Live Right? But let me know. Just asking i see a lot of white little root looking things growing out of the rock....

the rock its self is not live, only what is in the rock is live, so possibly there is some type of algae or plant live in the rock that is growing roots.

I don't know if that's all correct.... If the LR works as Filtration wouldn't that consider it to be LR? I believe everything that lives on the Rock is living off the Nutrients that is given off by the rock? No. I could be wrong...:-?

think of it as a house for bacteria and critters like a house for a human. the house its self isnt truly living but it makes us able to live (at least much easier), we could go without it but it would be rough. most of the nutrients and food comes from whatever you feed the tank. once again, they can go without that and get stuff on their own but it would be rough. and i could be wrong but i dont think that nutrients are technically live. not sure on that part. the rock can be filtering but not live like base rock which is more or less just "rock material" the stuff on/in it makes it live.

The "live" in live rock refers technically to the bacteria that live in it. Others often refer to "live" rock as rock that comes with hitchikers like sponges, worms, snails... you name it.

The "roots" you're seeing are just one of a variety of sponges, if they're the same white roots that are in my tank.

I agree with hockey, and am in no way an expert. The rock it self is not live, therefore it itself cannot grow roots. I would let them grow. Roots need nutrients and most probably waste matter, like fertilizer. Maybe you got something good. Give it time to grow. Some live rock harbors plants, which is a good thing. Hope everything goes well.

The "live" in live rock refers technically to the bacteria that live in it. Others often refer to "live" rock as rock that comes with hitchikers like sponges, worms, snails... you name it.

The "roots" you're seeing are just one of a variety of sponges, if they're the same white roots that are in my tank.

(y)(y)

Back
Top Bottom