Live Rock and Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Natterjak

Aquarium Advice Regular
We're getting the last of the live rock we need, and I'm thinking of getting it from liverocks.com. If it's shipped overnight, does it still need to be cured?

If I do cure it, I have some sand I need to add to the display tank still, so I was thinking of curing it with the live rock and letting the critters migrate to the sand. When the rock is done curing, can I just put the sand straight into the display tank, or does anything need to be done with it first?

The display tank does currently have live rock and fish in it.

I'm a newbe when it comes to live rock but if I didn't need to take my fish out to change from cc to dsb I would have put my new live rock from liverocks.com straight into my tank with out a second thought. There is so much life on there it's amazing. :D

If it's shipped overnight, does it still need to be cured?

Yes, absolutely!! While many members (the majority I think) have very little die off and very little ammonia rise, they do have some, and some have lots. It is not prudent to simply put it in a tank that contains life, if the tank is new and there is nothing in it yet, then put it in the tank, but in a mature tank, it should be re-cured in a seperate container.

If I do cure it, I have some sand I need to add to the display tank still, so I was thinking of curing it with the live rock and letting the critters migrate to the sand. When the rock is done curing, can I just put the sand straight into the display tank, or does anything need to be done with it first?

Yep, that is an easy way to make live sand, you will want the sand already in the container when you get the rock, and leave it for a week, you will find the sand will not cause as much of a sandstorm when you put it in the tank. Make sure there is plenty of flow in the curing container and do water changes to remove any ammonia that rises.

The display tank does currently have live rock and fish in it.
So you're just setting up the display tank?
Add the sand and then put the rock in to cure in the display tank. I would leave the display tank without fish for at least a month based on what others have found hitchhiking along with the rock.
Look for mantis shrimp and crabs. You probably don't to leave them in the display tank.

Back
Top Bottom