Live Rock: Cured or Uncured for a new tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ASpec

Aquarium Advice Freak
I’m going to be setting up a Nano tank in about 3-4 weeks. The only hold up right now is the tank being delivered.

I’m going to purchase my live rock from Premium Aquatics and was wondering if I should go with cured or uncured rock? I was thinking about ordering it now and putting it in a Rubbermaid container with a couple power heads and a heater, then when the tank comes in just transfer it over. My thinking on this is that I can control the ammonia spikes much easier this way but doing water changes in the Rubbermaid every couple days as needed.

When I called to order they suggested waiting until the tank arrived and just adding it right to the tank. What does everyone this on this? Should I go cured or uncured, and should I wait until the tank is setup or order now and do as I suggest above with the Rubbermaid container?

Your thoughts and suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you.

i would would get all the Uncured rock you can fit in the nano at once and let it cure and cycle all at the same time...thats what I did with my 75 gal... imo.

I agree that the uncured would be enough to cycle your tank. Just put it in tank and let it cycle.

I’m going to purchase my live rock from Premium Aquatics and was wondering if I should go with cured or uncured rock?
If it is going to be shipped it will have to be re-cured regardless. LR is generally shipped dry so there is always some amount of "die-off" in transit. Going w/ overnight delivery rather than 2nd day will help this. Since your tank is not established yet it doesn't really matter. Like everyone else said I would just let it cure/cycle in the tank.
You may get some more hitchhikers on the "uncured" rock, but then again some of them might not be reef friendly ie. crabs, aiptasia, etc. HTH

As mentioned, if it is being delivered, treat it as uncured LR. Put it in the nano and let the rock cycle the tank. If you are sourcing things out locally try to find cured LR and some good quality LS from an existing reef. When I started my nano, I used 10lbs dead sand, 10lbs LS (from various tanks) and 25lbs of fully cured LR. I also used cured LR rubble from my sump in the filter compartments. I experienced no cycle what so ever. I monitored water parameters for a week and begain adding corals and livestock.

Back
Top Bottom