Live rock for freshwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nope, it'll just deteriorate in freshwater.

I've heard of people drying it out in the sun and putting it in their tanks, and then it raises your pH like massive. But then it's not really live.

bruinsbro1997 said:
Nope, it'll just deteriorate in freshwater.

I've heard of people drying it out in the sun and putting it in their tanks, and then it raises your pH like massive. But then it's not really live.

Why does it raise the ph lvl

Some stone will leach buffers into the water. It depends on what kind of stone you add - but it can definitely raise pH.

If you use oceanic LR, the rock is generally a calcium-carbonate based rock, which means that it dissolves slowly in freshwater raising the pH of the water just as shells or other calcium based substances such as aragonite sand will do. If you wanna watch it disappear fast, stick it in a little white vinegar.

In a sense, there is. Anything you put in a tank is going to become 'live' after a while. Dried out live rock from sw tanks is often used in african tanks as a buffer.

In a sense, there is. Anything you put in a tank is going to become 'live' after a while. Dried out live rock from sw tanks is often used in african tanks as a buffer.

I suppose that is true - but you aren't going to achieve anything like SW live rock with interesting colors and critters. FW liverock will be brown, black, or green with bacteria :).

What rock could be added? Maybe some volcanic rock?

I know it can be pretty porous (sp?)which would give a huge area from BB to cling.

Can get some interesting colours too.

Scouser said:
What rock could be added? Maybe some volcanic rock?

I know it can be pretty porous (sp?)which would give a huge area from BB to cling.

Can get some interesting colours too.

I feel like volcanic rock can be too sharp

It can be sharp but a stone like tufa could easily be rubbed down to be soft on the outside edges while retaining its extreme porus character leaving lots of room for good BB to build on. Once this happens it would be considered live rock. As stated before the live really just means it has a good culture of BB on it. If you would like live rock for fresh water you could ask a friend with an established tank if you could put a rock in it than transfer to your own tank. But beware it pests can also be transferred this way.

skiweeangel said:
It can be sharp but a stone like tufa could easily be rubbed down to be soft on the outside edges while retaining its extreme porus character leaving lots of room for good BB to build on. Once this happens it would be considered live rock. As stated before the live really just means it has a good culture of BB on it. If you would like live rock for fresh water you could ask a friend with an established tank if you could put a rock in it than transfer to your own tank. But beware it pests can also be transferred this way.

Where can tufa be found?

I dont think FW live rock would do much good unless it was right under the filter or in front of a powerhead....

GodFan said:
I dont think FW live rock would do much good unless it was right under the filter or in front of a powerhead....

Why is that? Water will be in contact with it, that's all that is needed.

So long as it isn't in a dead zone it will act as planned.

Why is that? Water will be in contact with it, that's all that is needed.

So long as it isn't in a dead zone it will act as planned.
I was thinking it would need alot of water current to make surte enough water exchange. Dont the bb need alot of water exchange?

GodFan said:
I was thinking it would need alot of water current to make surte enough water exchange. Dont the bb need alot of water exchange?

Well BB on decor items seems to help even in unfiltered bowls so I'd assume that so long as a minor current circulates the water the BB would be able to continue the cycle.

Back
Top Bottom