live rock help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newbie321

Aquarium Advice Regular
okay so i havnt posted to this forum since 2012. since then ive recently purchased a fully established saltwater tank. currently it is stocked with 2 occelaris clownfish and a banded coral shrimp. my main concern is the previous owner didnt have any live rock at all in this tank, just a fluval c-5 power filter loaded with bio media as the main biological filtration. my question is, if i purchase some dead rock from ebay, can i just add that in? i really wanna liven this display up with some rock formations but if i buy 40 lbs is it safe to just rinse and add to the tank?

Yes you can. You can add macro or base rock along with live rock that was kept wet directly into the tank. As for rock that was live and has been dead for some time, you will most likely want to cure it and give it a good scrub before adding it to the system to ensure you aren't bringing in any unnecessary gunk.

Would it be possible to add the dry rock to the tank and add a biological booster such as biopspira?

Sure. It might help with the parameters as the biological bacteria base would only be in the filter media from the old tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom