Live rock in 10 gal ich qt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zacheyp

Aquarium Advice Addict
Im about to cycle a 10 gal qt to treat for ich. It's gonna be a bare bottom but should I get lr or not. It will speed up a cycle but will it harbor ich?

When u dose copper it will kill the rock so it would be pointless

Also, if you use the hyposalinity method, it will kill of the LR. It might help you cycle it though, not sure, that had always confused me.

u should gt a HOB filter and run it on your main tank for a few days to a week to establish some BB. it would be alot quicker then trying to cycle. IMO

Yup or just take a filter pad or somethin from ur sump and stick it in there. I actually did hypo in my dt and moved a piece of rock over to qt and my inverts so it was less stressful on the fish. I also CANT catch them lol. You could put a couple pieces so they have some hiding places if you want. It will turn live after you put it in your tank with LS or LR.

I would throw a couple pieces of small PVC pipe in the qt for the fish to hide in. :)

Any live rock as said above will be killed off during treatment. :-(

Yeah you can, just get a couple of the ugliest pieces you have and use them. But, only if you do not use any copper treatment. I would assume the rock would absorb some and release it back into the water over time. They hyposalinity is what I use and have had excellent results.

If you use copper, use a sponge from the sump in a hob filter, after the qt period is over, throw out the sponge and place a new sponge in the sump for next time. Always have the sponge ready for that emergency situation.

DO NOT take live rock out of a QT that has been treated with copper and put it back in a display tank. This will kill all corals and inverts as the copper leaches back out

i have come up with a plan, how does it sound?
1. order a copper treatment (which one do you reccomend and where do i get it)
2. Friday morning take a trip to petco
3. buy a 10 gallon qt (4 2 clowns) and the cheapest heater and filter i can find
4. Also buy 10 gallons of premixed never used saltwater
5. put the new filter on the dt and the current biowheel on the qt and run for a week
6. put clowns in qt and treat for 7 weeks
8. put everything back in

Sounds good zach. Although the clowns can go in the qt as soon as you put the biowheel on as it will bring the bacteria with it.

i a lost the gramma and the clowns are showing signs, which copper do you like

Not sure on the dosage and frequency. Just follow the instructions to a tee. You might also need a copper testing kit.

Why dont you just do hypo? Ive heard its very relaxing for the fish and you could use LR and the same sponge.

Back
Top Bottom