Live Rock question about Curing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeffs10

Aquarium Advice Activist
Setting up a tank that is going to have LR. I plan on ordering online or getting from my lfs. Is it best that i cure the rock myself before adding to my tank?

Would it be better to order online would i get a better quality?

and if i cure myself does the water have to be cycled before i start the curying process? and how long should i cure it for? and once its cured enought will it be ok to add to an exsiting tank?

Jeff

We actually have an article written about curing LR. Here is the link:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=6

In a nutshell, if this is a brand new tank and you are just starting it, you can go ahead and cure the LR right in the tank. Since nothing is alive in there, that is the best place to do it in. If you are adding LR to an existing tank, you will need to cure it in something else (i.e. Rubbermaid container, another empty tank, etc...)

Would it be better to order online would i get a better quality?

Depends on the quality of LR in your area. I can't get good LR here so I order mine. By "good" I mean relatively inexpensive with good amounts of life on it. The LR in my LFS's look like regular rock and they charge $6+ per pound! Get it from www.liverocks.com You won't be disappointed.

and if i cure myself does the water have to be cycled before i start the curying process?

Curing the LR, is cycling your tank. You aren't cycling the water, in so much, as you are cycling your entire tank.

and how long should i cure it for?

Needs to be cured until you don't get an ammonia or nitrite reading on your test kits. Usually a couple weeks if not sooner.

and once its cured enought will it be ok to add to an exsiting tank?

Once it is fully cured, it is ready to be put into an existing tank.

thanks for the great info i read the article on the site but had a few more questions i didnt understand and thanks for your help now i am understanding it now.

Just working out a sump ( i have a design just have to ask around if it any good) and a skimmer next.

thanks for the great info

jeff

Back
Top Bottom