Live Rock Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi all. well the diatom bloom stopped and on closer inspection one night when the lights were off with a torch i notcied all the rock comes to life at nite. looking thru the rock i seen a heap of worms coming thru the holes in the rock. ducking back in when the like shone on them. then i noticed all little bugs running over on rock. under another rock i seen something which look like a very small red starfish. in another rock there looked to be what i thought was black and white striped worms but it could be a very small starfish living in a rock.

Anyways sorry for my excitement but its my first marine tank. its so cool.
Now a couple of LFS's said the rock may not come back to life however with the amount of life in there and after a few days im starting to see the rock changing and getting a reddy and white tinge about a few of them. Could the rock still come back to life afterall???

ps ill get some new pics up asap

Ok...the rock itself isn't alive...when we talk about LR it is the bacteria and other critters on and in the rock that is alive and makes it LR. Yes what are you are seeing is a very good thing. The little "bugs" are pods..most likely amphipods...that is a good sign. All those worms and other critters are usually a good thing. Some hitchikers are not so good be we can worry about that later. As for the red starfish, we will need a pic to help you out there.

You should be excited! I know I was...when I started my tank I had 1 rock and a lot of sand and water. I would sit and look at that 1 rock for ever. Don't always believe everything the LFS tells you. Ask questions and if you aren't sure of the answers you get there come here and repeat them. We don't get paid and aren't going to pull your leg.

Get those pics! We do love them!!

thanks ziggy. very true. i havent seen the starfish again. im trying to get some pics but he has gone. :( didnt seem like it liked the light at all as when the torch was on him he slid back under a rock and havent seen him since. :) looked pretty cool. im home tonight so will hopefully get some pics for u guys. i know i love pics to hey just need to take some decent ones :)

hmmm...I guess it would work....I guess you are looking for Macro and pods (nutrient export) not water volume. I personally don't like those types of fuges. I like BIG...I like to increase water volume and have the other benefits. A lot of tanks are very successful with those types of HOB fuges..I'd again get rid of the bio-balls though.....Does that help? BTW...what time is it there?

How much is that? I bet for the price you could get a hob overflow, 20g tank, pvc, return pump, and some chaeto!

That is probably true Marc...but the HOB fuge is actually the best way of putting pods into the tank and still getting the nutrient export with the macro. I have a 20g fuge under my tank and love the additional water volume and spent maybe $40 with plumbing sand and macro.....

yeah well in answer to your questions guys it is also a protein skimmer to :) so i think im getting best of both worlds here. at shop its 395 however i can get it direct from manufacturer for 245 including freight so thats pretty good.

and its 2:40pm here on Friday :):)

why do you say that? there is a lfs that is pretty good has a display tank in which that is all it runs. says he has had it on there for 2 years with no problems??

That doesnt mean the skimmer is doing anything, I know many people who run no skimmer at all with thriving tanks.

That should then answer your statement...a tank can survive with out a skimmer..I don't recomend it but it can...I would go with a HOB fuge if you are dead set on it and get a skimmer also....that skimmer isn't going to do a lot but it is better then no skimmer at all IMO!

hmm well im looking at a skimmer. so should i go with the seaclone skimmer at 240?
or get the refugium with skimmer at 245?

ME personally I wouldn't buy a seaclone at all...Have you checked on Ebay for some of these items? I know shipping could be a bit high but you will save a ton of money. Most everything you can get at an LFS can be found for a lot less online!

Back
Top Bottom