Live Rock Seeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnkristie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've got some base rock in my tank now and was wondering if I was to get some live rock, would the anaerobic bacteria transfer to my base rock?

Yes. but really, you don't even need to do that. bacteria will grow everywhere. You can actually just use a piece of raw unfrozen cocktail shrimp to grow the same bacteria. IT's just that "live rock" is prettier

I didn't know that.
I had placed my live rock directly adjacent (touching, actually) my base rock hoping to get it to seed.
Thanks.
Jeff

Actually that would be right. The live rock is "pretty" but i used almost twice as much base rock as I did live and even the base rock gains the pretty coraline in a bout 6-8 months. Can barely tell the difference between my old base and live rock now. And it provides a good place for that bacteria to grow.

Base rock is a lot cheaper too :lol: And like already stated in several months it will look/function exactly like the LR you purchased.

So then if I already have about 200 lbs of base rock, how much live rock should I get to "seed" my base rock? Will the anaerobic bacteria form inside my base rock without seeding the tank with live rock? If I do seed the tank with live rock, how long will it take to transfer the anaerobic bacteria to the base rock?

The more live rock you put in the faster it will seed. And the bacteria will form without live rock, but i would recommend getting at least a small amount of live rock to help out. Also, are u using a live sand bed? Great for bio-diversity.

No, I don't have a live sand bed. Probably should consider it. Can the live rock go underneath the aquarium in my sump, so I don't have to disturb the base rock I already have in the tank? I've noticed the nitrates creeping up a bit in last month or two, up to about 20 now. :?

Another thing that will really help to speed up the process (algae at least anyway) is to get some (scraped off) coraline algae from a store, fello reefer or online and spread it out on your base rocks. This will really accellerate the grouth of new coraline algae on the base rocks so things won't take so long. It just depends how patient you are though for everything.

Yes quite easily. I would buy the cheaper rubble rock from the LFS holding tanks or dead base rock. Much cheaper and the end result will be the same. The biological filtering effects of the rock are not light dependant.

Cheers
Steve

I just purchased 30lbs. of rubble for my sump from Ebay for $39.00. I think it is Walt Smith rock. Seems to be some pretty good stuff. Reasonable price too. My lfs doesn't give out, or sell rubble at all.

Mike

you can put it in your sump, but you'll kill all the coralline! you'll be turning expensive LR into cheap base rock

if you don't have enough room in the tank for the LR, move some of the base to the sump (where it will work fine as a biofilter, just won't get pretty) and put the LR in the tank.

I only ordered it for my sump as a replacement for the bio balls. That's why it was so cheap..it's only rubble, but good porous pieces.

Mike

I actually have 90lbs. of live rock in my main tank. I was riding on this thread so I could share pricing on rubble for people. The 30lbs. was for the sump so I could get rid of the bio balls altogether.. 8)

So I guess to summarize everyone's comments, if I add live rock to my tank either in the sump or in the main display, my current base rock should become live rock over time. However, my base rock will not get corraline algae growth if I put the live rock in the sump. Does this all sound correct? :|

Put the LR in the main tank (preserve the coralline) and the base in the sump. The base will become "live" no matter where it's placed.

Cheers
Steve

The rock is good in the sump as well and will become live as the bacteria will grow in the sump as well. It will turn brown though and will not develop any new coraline algae without any lights. You might consider making it a refugium/sump, which lots of people on here have done, with lots of posts if you search for ideas...

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom