Live rock with many critters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

six2sevenproductions

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,
So I saw a piece of rock at the lfs which caught my eye. It's the perfect rock, very long, pours and has it's own caves. Almost a foot long with about 7 inches of it being 3 inches thick. Now there is a quarter size opening on one end and the whole Rock is light. I believe the entire center is hollow.

I have never bought rock at this store before and when i brought the rock home I rinsed it in saltwater from a pwc to see how hollow it was. By rinsing it about 5 mini brittle starfish fell out. My first reaction is that I didn't want them there and needed them out. Afterwards I placed the rock in my sump until I am ready to rearrange the rocks in my display tank.

Two days later I noticed the rock has many tubeworms on it, large bristleworms and many more mini brittle starfish. I am wondering what else is in that cave. My concern for now is only the brittle starfish as I plan to make this a reef tank with corals and inverts. Are these reef safe? Also there is a patch of reddish burgundy colored algae which I have never seen before. It seems fluffy or hairlike/ carpetlike.

Don't worry about the mini brittle starfish. They are fine in a reef tank. I have two larger brittle stars and they are also great in the tank.

There is nothing you mentioned so far that would cause any problems in a reef tank. Some people don't like bristle worms. But, if you end up with something that died they will have it cleaned up long before it can break down into nitrates.

Sorry no pictures, camera was left in Vegas. My tank is about 15 months old with about 65 lbs of live rock. Nitrates are 0. Very proud of that since it has been the hardest battle. I bought the rock because I want to rearrange my rock set up when I introduce the new tang that I currently have in a qt tank. I want to avoid any territorial disputes. This yellow tang will be my main fish as I do not plan on having many fish, more of a reef tank. I was just unknowledgeable about brittle starfish. I do have bristleworms and now that they have grown or multiplied I am not seeing any debris in the back of my tank.

Back
Top Bottom