Live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dresselt

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello there I am new to the saltwater world I am setting up my new 75 gallon saltwater tank. I am curious when can I add live rock? Should I have the water and live sand in the tank for a while before the live rock or can in all go in at the start up?

Hi yea can add li e rock in tank. Do your aqua scape let rock and tank go threw cycle. I'm new and that what I here. By this book the reef aquarium volume 3 by delbeek and sprung. And contentious marine look it up a do. Lot off research good luck.

Thanks for the help! I am planning on putting a few inches of water then my live sand then my live rock and rest of the water!!

Put rocks in first then add sand. Because some fish like to dig under the live rock and if you don't put the rock all the way at the bottom a rock can collapse on a fish!

Thank you for the heads up!! Will the live rock survive as I put water in and then mix the salt in?

I would put the water in buckets and mix the salt in there then put them into my tank. Not sure what the proper procedure is but what I did I just filled my tank with normal water, added dechlorinator, then the proper amount of salt. I had my powerheads moving the water at the same time so the salt would mix. After about 4 hours I added the live rock and sand. To keep the sand from making your water dirty, dip the bag in the tank where you cut the hole to let the sand come out and just pour it in. Also, if your using live sand, you don't need to pre wash your sand. If its just normal dry sand. I suggest cleaning it thoroughly.

If your rocks are covered in sand just take your powerhead and let it blow the sand off the rocks.

I was using all live rock until I found out what it would cost. I ended up with 50 lbs of dry rock from bulk reef supply and about 35 lbs of live rock. I here that the others will be live within 6 mos.(Saving a ton of $$)

But I hear ro/di water is better water made from tap no problems with tank once it us setup, and use ro/di uinit to make water to store it . I'm new so just give what I was told.

The initial mixing of SW can be done in the tank since there aren't any fish in there. Put water in up to almost half full. Then add the salt according to the container of salt you buy. Then add heater and PH to let it mix. Once the temp and salinity is right, you can add LR and make your scape. If your adding all base rock, don't need to wait for temp and salinity to come up, you can just put it in. After rocks are in, add the sand. Don't want To add salt to the tank if Sand is already in there cuz it may get mixed in the sand and not dissolve right away, and then at some point down the road dissolve and throw your salinity out of whack.

After the initial fill, you'll need to mix salt and water in a container and then add to tank. Can't mix it in tank once fish are in there. Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom