live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wanderer90

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi all i'm a newbie :lol: can anyone tell me the difference between caribean rock, fiji rock, kaelini rock, also the tank has been cycling for 4 days if i order now online i'll get it in 2, is it ok to cure it and put it in the tank, or can i just put it in the tank and not cure it? i currently only have two hermit crabs in the tank now. thanks for all your feed back

caribean rock --> Collected off the cost of FL usually this rock is usually more dense than other live rock as its aquacultured. Aquacultured rock means that rock is quaried from an onland source and is taken out to a special plot of baren ocean floor and is dumped. The rock 'ages' there for a few years and then is sold as caribean live rock.

fiji rock --> Collected off the fiji islands and is usually composed of 'reef rubble'. This rubble is created when tropical storms and other natural causes of rough seas breaks up the natural reef and deposits these broken chunks of reef on the ocean floor away from the reef itself. This rock is usually lese dense than the caribean rock so you get more rock for the weight. This rock is also usually has more coraline growth on it as this rock has been in the ocean much longer than the aquacultured rock.

kaelini rock --> I have no idea but would be inclined to belive its more like fiji rock but might look different in its physical structure.

The rock will need to be cured when you get it and you can cure it in your tank or you can cure it out of the tank. The resulting ammonia spike could be deadly to your hermits.

Is there one that is better than the other? I can get a good deal on the caribbean rock but was wondering if the fiji rock would be better for my tank, if i was putting mostly fish, some coral and anemonies? TIA!!

IMO, your best to use a variety of rock, this will give you a greater diversity od life on the rock as well as more species of coralline algae.

Back
Top Bottom