Live Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was told when I started my tank by multiple people, multiple different times that were not selling sand just giving advice that pool sand and play sand have high amounts of silicate. They told me it would cause your sand to turn black and brown and be a disaster. I didn't risk it so at $35 for 40lbs shipped free. Ill just fork out the cash and sleep well knowing I have live sand

I didn't say get normal sand, you can get sand for fish tanks at Petco or Petsmart that is not play sand or pool sand. It's special sand that is formulated for Saltwater Fish tanks, but not live sand. It's cheaper than live sand and you get more for around 15 dollars. I believe it's around 30 pounds of Topfin sand for 15 bucks. If I had a 90, I would buy around 3 bags of normal sand from the pet store, and than 2 bags of live sand to put on top. That would give you 130 pounds of sand.

The normal sand brand is topfin? So how many pounds of that?

Do wash it all you do is like siphon 1 inch above the sand?

You know, I can not find the TopFin Sand I bought on the web to show you, but I know it was TopFin. It's not on petsmart website, but I know I bought it there.

I would go with Tkey3425!! Just make sure you know what animal you are putting in your tank. If you want something that requires a deep sand bed, than you will need to buy more than 100 pounds.

You know, I can not find the TopFin Sand I bought on the web to show you, but I know it was TopFin. It's not on petsmart website, but I know I bought it there.

I would go with Tkey3425!! Just make sure you know what animal you are putting in your tank. If you want something that requires a deep sand bed, than you will need to buy more than 100 pounds.

I found really cheap live sand. 50 cents a pound something around there. What animals require a deep bed?

Tategrant

I use the small end of the cleaning siphon to clean my tank, I just take off the big part. I rarely will touch the sand bed, I only will siphon big stuff that I see. Like food and what not, but I will only go down to the point the stuff comes up in the siphon, I don't siphon or disturb the sand.

Also with the Aquarium sand that you buy that is not live, I would rinse first. The live sand I would not rinse!! It's going to be real cloudy for a while and depending on your filters it could last a few days or just a few hours.

I found really cheap live sand. 50 cents a pound something around there. What animals require a deep bed?

Gobies like a nice sand bed to borrow in, or swift though to get the small critters that inhabit the sand bed.

The poop is cleaned up mostly by a clean up crew, but you can siphon it out if it accumulates. Also that's why flow in your aquarium is important. If you got a great flow going with power heads, it will keep the poop suspended in the water long enough for your filter to suck it up and out of the aquarium.

Also I might be a little bias, but I don't trust cheap sand. I used this sand and to me two bags is worth the 60 bucks it will cost.

attachment.php

Oh great! I have to wait for Christmas to get the rest of the stuff I need. I can't wait though. So does the poop just sit on the sand? It doesn't go into it?

Gobies like a nice sand bed to borrow in, or swift though to get the small critters that inhabit the sand bed.

The poop is cleaned up mostly by a clean up crew, but you can siphon it out if it accumulates. Also that's why flow in your aquarium is important. If you got a great flow going with power heads, it will keep the poop suspended in the water long enough for your filter to suck it up and out of the aquarium.

Also I might be a little bias, but I don't trust cheap sand. I used this sand and to me two bags is worth the 60 bucks it will cost.

attachment.php

I second this recommendation. I use CaribSea in my tank, and I think that it is one reason that my cure and cycle completed as quickly as it did, in about 2 weeks. (I still let things settle for about 2 months, though...longer than the 4 weeks I wanted, but life got in the way).

Aside from that, this stuff looks *great*.

Oh great! I have to wait for Christmas to get the rest of the stuff I need. I can't wait though. So does the poop just sit on the sand? It doesn't go into it?

See the comment above about the flow. Keep the water moving and the poo will be sucked into your filter.

Back
Top Bottom