Live Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattmku

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 20 gallon tank with about 20 lbs of live rock and crushed coral substrate. I'd like to change substrate to sand. If I remove the cc all at once and replace it with 20 lbs of live sand will the tank have to re-cycle?

depends on what you consider ls ! the bag stuff or real ls ! if real ya will have some die off but shouldnt be to bad ! bag stuff is garbage imo

I read somewhere about putting sand into a bucket and cycling it with a shrimp. I'll see if I can locate the link.

i was talking about the bag stuff...I'm planning on placing my inhabitants (only a chromis and pep shrimp) in a QT tank for a week or two after making the change. I've also considered a bacterial supplement to jump start the bio filtration again. Will this be effective in the long run or just a temporary fix?

well the bag stuff has the bacteria in it already ! koolaids point would be cheaper and would work

I found the link. It uses flake food as opposed to shrimp, but a shrimp will probably do just as well.

http://www.reef-aquarium.net/

Click on "Educational Resources" and then "Curing Dry Aragonite Sand"
I know it's not exactly what you were looking for but maybe it will help someone else.

thanks...thats what i'll do.

so i'm guessing I can pretty much cycle the sand just like the tank...add an ammonia source and once ammonia and nitrite are 0's i'm good to go. Makes sense.

That's pretty much all there is to it. Or you could replace the cc w/sand over time. Pull 1/4 of your cc, replace, wait 2 weeks and move on to the next section.

Back
Top Bottom