loach died

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyApril83

Aquarium Advice Freak
My first fish died a kuhli loach....I found him this am he was on the bottom..he wasn't there when I fed at 7am but at 9 he was I tested the water. Its good..I think. The others look fine I did do a water change after I found him...my weekly one

ForumRunner_20130819_091855.jpg that's the water test right after I found him.

Sorry for the loss. How long did you have it and how many of them are there in the tank ? Tests look ok, doubt it was water problems.

But they can be sensitive, having such fine scales, [ not truly scaleless ], and sometimes they can just up and die for no apparent reason. If there are no obvious wounds or other signs of illness, might possibly be genetic weakness. I think that happens more often than might be suspected.

Kuhli loaches are pretty sensitive, not to patameters, but to stress and a small group, having no others if its kind there, or they were just a bad loach
I find loaches sensitive to those things
Also, was he pale, or just on its side, kuhlis tend to lie on their sides, they look dead but aren't, they look pale when they are dead

5 ..now 4 in the tank was laying on its side did not move. Had him since Thursday the other ones are looking good he was not yet pale. He wasn't as bright as before...poor bugger I like them!

I disagree, kuhlis, especially newly purchased, can be quite sensitive to new parameters. I drip acclimate mine, so they are exposed very gradually to the new water.

I had one batch of them, from a local store, where 90% of them died within a week of getting them. This place has a 5 day replacement guarantee, and they did replace them, twice, until I decided it was just a bad batch and took credit instead. Sometimes they are just poorly handled in shipment or poorly acclimated in store, and that can lead to deaths, and if you buy them very soon after they arrive, it's more stress on them with two adjustments in a short space of time. All the scaleless or very finely scaled fish are more sensitive than fish with the more usual scales are.

I find they do best in large groups, I keep at least a dozen together if at all possible. Black ones and the striped ones get on fine and while they don't really hang out together they will snuggle under rocks or wood together, and that's what they like.

They also have a habit of squeezing themselves into the tiniest of cracks and can damage themselves doing so. Don't have coarse or rough rocks in their tank, or coarse gravel. But you'd see scrapes or wounds if they'd gotten into a tight spot. I had one that showed up one day missing scales on half of one side. He died the next day. Still don't know what he got into, but two that got into the filter are fine and were not hurt at all.

If you can I'd get at least two more, six is the fewest I would keep in one tank. They also need places to hide. Rock or wood that they can get underneath. Or lots of plants. The more hiding places, the bolder they tend to be once they get used to a new tank.

Yea, it's pretty scary to see them on their sides, but they are pale when dead

Don't forget they also pale out when they're suddenly frightened! Or some when they first wake up (kind of like how neons arnt "neon" when you first turn on lights or they wake up) Just FYI for future if you see one pale, don't automatically think he is dying or anything (unless params are off or he's acting weird).

Don't forget they also pale out when they're suddenly frightened! Or some when they first wake up (kind of like how neons arnt "neon" when you first turn on lights or they wake up) Just FYI for future if you see one pale, don't automatically think he is dying or anything (unless params are off or he's acting weird).

+1 and when they are sexually mature they get pale when they are breeding

Is your tank planted? I just ask cause the nitrates.

I personally don't think you didn't anything wrong, being you've only had them since Thursday. If everything in your tank is good, it's cycled, I just chalk up deaths during the first 2 weeks to whatever happened to them before (like store ect). As long as others are feeding, swimming around happy, you have hiding places and nothing is bullying them. Sorry for your loss but don't give up =)

Ps- I was just saying the pale comment as FYI if you see any others get pale. Aquandrew I never knew that! They are neat little things.

Is your tank planted? I just ask cause the nitrates.

I personally don't think you didn't anything wrong, being you've only had them since Thursday. If everything in your tank is good, it's cycled, I just chalk up deaths during the first 2 weeks to whatever happened to them before (like store ect). As long as others are feeding, swimming around happy, you have hiding places and nothing is bullying them. Sorry for your loss but don't give up =)

Ps- I was just saying the pale comment as FYI if you see any others get pale. Aquandrew I never knew that! They are neat little things.

Not planted I have 5 moss balls tho

How long should I wait to replace the loach...I was also thinking of making them a school of 7 instead of 5 but I'm not sure if my tank can handle that. I have 5 skirt tetras 5 neon black tetras and 7. Red minor (really small right now) and a pleco and the 4 loaches and still need bottom dweller like some corys and a showcase/center fish 37gal tank

Back
Top Bottom