lobster help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flipbro13

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i've had a 20 gallon for about 4 months and just recently added a new blue lobster/ crayfish. the lady who sold it to me at my local aquarium store said there shouldnt be any problems with my other fish (a twin-tailed betta, small chinese algea eater, and white tipped shark cat) but even after 30 minutes, the lobster built his home underneath a rock and started harassing the betta and cat. i thought it was initially just trying to become familiar with its surroundings but soon realized that he ACTUALLY waited for the slower fish to swim by and came out and attacked them, grabbing on to the bettas lower tail. now the lobster is in a two gallon bowl awaiting whatever fate becomes him, probably returning him back to the store, but i was wondering if there was anything else i could do.

Lobsters are a bad mix with fish. They should be housed alone. Take it back to the store or get it a ten gallon tank of its own.

thanks rich, thats probably what i'm going to end up doing, but you are right tostada, it is a really neat looking creature and all the research i did on it said it should be a problem. oh well...

yeah your betta is gonna become dinner eventully, the crayfish may stay at the bottom, but you would be surprised how many fish they can get with those claws, thye sure are fasinating creautres to watch though

Will they actually eat the fish, or just kill them? I wouldn't think a tiny crayfish/lobster could actually eat even a 1.5" fish.

I so very very nearly bought a blue lobster for my tank. There is a lot of conflicting info on the web, some saying its fine with fish and some saying not. Bottom line was that the forums Id found had many people having issues with them so I didnt buy.

Look up blue crayfish / blue lobster on google and you will find a fair bit of info,

ive acutally seen lobsters and crabs go rouge, and sneak into a neighboring tank, trying to grab a loach at pet stores

I can reply from personal experience. I purchased a baby cobalt, raised him into a full sized adult, and in the space of two days one week he consumed 2 bala sharks, 1 male betta, 1 cory cat and killed but didn't eat an adult marble angelfish

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom