Local Aquarium Socities - Frag Sharing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheIrishJedi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I desperately want to get into SW tanks and create a nice reef. Sadly, I am lacking both knowledge and money. I'm taking steps with it though. I decided to buy a 10 gallon freshwater tank to get some of the basics down while researching both FW & SW. Once I get that down, I'm going to buy a 50-70g tank and go for it.

Anyway, I just learned what fragging is and I was wondering whether it is common for people to share their coral with poor folks like me? What tends to be the norm?

It is quite normal in a local community setting. We have a local marine club in my area called WAMAS. Naturally, in any setting like this there's always people selling frags of stuff at great, low prices.

In addition to that, our club has a program called SWAP, which stands for Share the Wealth And Propogate. The rule is that someone starts it with a species, frags up what they can and dispurses it to members in the club for free. The recipients then grow it, frag it, and give it away in the same way. Something received through the SWAP program is not allowed to be sold for money, only given away.

Very common for the sharing / giving of frags. My local club has a lot of folks that readily give (frags, time, even on site help) to those who are appreciative.

I would strongly recommend that you research now though. Get the basics down and save up. The corals are actually a very small portion of the cost of starting a reef tank.

I think you need to attend a meeting and fill out the application there. Could be wrong, but that's the impression the website gives.

Back
Top Bottom