Logic and logistics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So the new pump was on the step when my wife got home so I managed to hook it up in a rush before leaving for dinner. It’s a good thing I put on the splitter line, it needs it! A vast upgrade, and I’m very pleased. Everything still needs to be tuned up a bit, but yeah, very pleased.

Ok, I'm leaving this here so I can find it some other day when I'm trying to figure out what my flow is. Doing some rule of thumb quick and dirty math I figure that right now with the new pump I can achieve about 600gph into the tank (with the splitter closed, and now that I've run it with enough water in the sump I think I can actually do that and have the drain keep up, but I want to only run it that way for now while I'm actually home and can keep an eye on it to be sure), which is about a 15x/h turnover rate. So seems about right for a hillstream type setup. With the old pump I think it was about 350gph, or 8.75x/h turnover.

And yeah, it's definitely doing a better job at moving debris. And the little minnows are playing in the flow which is fun.

So I spent a while messing with the drain intake, and discovered that it was sucking enough air that it was impeding the water flow. By prototyping (cutting up various pieces of plastic from the recycle bin to be a shield and zip tying them on) I actually improved the flow enough that the water level in the tank dropped half an inch. So now I’m contemplating a more permanent solution.

tToYv7h.jpg

There were 3 at the store still after quarantine was up. I am worried about how neat up they might be because of it all but you can’t say there’s not lots of surfaces to eat off of for 3 little loaches.

Hoping so! They’re definitely little still. I put my name on the list to be called if they get more in.

Also, I saw 3 shrimp at one time. So there’s that too.

Here, did another short video to show things off:

https://youtu.be/okBvowjVfTw

I'm pretty happy with how things are going in the tank.

Right now I'm working on a new drain overflow with an additional opening. With the increased flow there's been an increase in gurgling too :)

Thank you! I'm enjoying it as well. I sat and fiddled with it for half an hour this morning and really enjoyed watching the minnows. They just have more personality than the tetras in the other tank. Still haven't spotted any of the loaches since Sunday though. Too many hidey holes for them I guess.

Came home late from dinner and turned on the light in the kitchen, and lo and behold there were two loaches on the glass in the front! So there’s at least two of them in there!

Yeah, for sure. I always hate to not see any sign of a fish, it just makes me worry. Even seeing just one of them would’ve been encouraging!

Speaking of:

KDVH9co.jpg

Also, I raided the discard bucket from the soil lab at work and then spent an hour sorting through pea gravel sized rocks to find the smoothest ones to clean up:

Zihm6Zw.jpg

I think I need to wait a bit to let them settle down into the sand a bit more but really, I do like it.

That is exciting!

It is great to see you adding a few more things into the tank. The stones might grow some algae for grazing! They love the dark green kind.

I tried doing a vase of smooth stones out side with fish water and extra fish food to really green ones to help feed the Otos but literally no algae, I saw greenish and then it was like sediment on the stones, stones were clean :( Once had luck growing green algae on stones on a very sunny window sill but not now. They were in the sun most of the day.

We have company coming for Christmas and I have a bunch of work to do to get the area acceptable for people who don't understand MTS!!!

Grow algae when you don’t want it, don’t grow it when you do... a fish nerds life is not an easy path ;)

I’ve got a ton more gravel in a bowl that I could keep sorting through, and way way more at work...

Grow algae when you don’t want it, don’t grow it when you do... a fish nerds life is not an easy path ;)

I’ve got a ton more gravel in a bowl that I could keep sorting through, and way way more at work...

It is unfortunate the algae stones didn't work. Tough fish life, yeah. :lol:

I hand picked literally all the small stones .75-1" & the 2-4" from the basket containers at the stone yard. It was kinda fun - what a way to spend an hour (or so).

So you can see the loach hiding behind this in that picture above but here's a video too:

https://youtu.be/CMgR2FqehxA

I DIY'd the old pump into an internal filter to stir up the debris in the corners a bit more without completely clogging up the sump. It also gives the whiteclouds something to do :)

Back
Top Bottom