Lonely Little 10 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

InputGulliver

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello there!
I had a lovely 20 gallon long tank about a month ago, and had to relocate (see "move back in with parents"). Unfortunately, no one likes to ship anything to Alaska from anywhere, so I had to leave my tank and two Platies* behind. This happened to be the biggest bummer, because my tank had just finished cycling the very week I had to make the decision to move, and my female Platy was just starting to puff up with fry the same day I took her back to the pet store. Not to mention my Christmas presents happened to be totally bomb tank decorations. They're on the slow boat on their way up here though, so it's all cool.
Thankfully, almost as soon as I got back home (Alaska), a family friend heard about my new hobby and gave me their old 10 gallon aquarium and lid. They don't have any fish, it was just an aquarium they had lying around and gave it to me out of the goodness of their hearts. So, I scrubbed that sucker spotless, painted the back black, bought a new bulb for the lid, found a good 20 gallon filter**, ordered some white sand - because you get everything online up here in the North, and am in the middle of a fishless cycle. There is no pet store up here either. Life is rough.

Gear:
10 gallons of water
Marineland Penguin 100 bio-wheel power filter for 20 gallons
Air pump and air stone because bubbles
Api Stress Coat+
AquaVitro bacteria seed
Api Freshwater master test kit

*Originally there were three platies that I started my cycle with, but unfortunately I ended up with a massive ammonia and nitrite spike and I lost my favorite fish.
**This information may be off now that I know what kind of people I got my advice from when I first started this hobby, but I was told that it's best to get a filter rated for more gallons of water than you actually have.

Back
Top Bottom