lonely pearl gourami and sexing help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

laur94x

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought a pearl gourami just over a week ago to add to my 138 litre community tank.for the first week he seemed very happy, playing with his own reflection and seemed to be colouring up nicely but the last few days he looks lonely and miserable, just on his own looking out the corner of the tank :( tank mates are :
5 guppies,
4 cories
1 bristlenose pleco.
I know most gouramis can't be mixed with their kind due to aggression, is this the same for pearls? And does it depend on their sex? I think I have a male, can anyone confirm this from the pictures I've added (sorry for crap quality, its from my phone) any ideas on how to cheer him up? I'm happy to add another gourami if this is possible without causing problems?

Attachments

• IMG-20130207-01851.jpg
    IMG-20130207-01851.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG-20130207-01850.jpg
    IMG-20130207-01850.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 99
You can add another Pearl to go with the one you have. They are very peaceful with each other. I have two snakeskin and a gold in my 55 with a bunch of blackfin and tiger barbs. The three get along with each other though I think I am lucky with that. Pearl Gouramis are one of the most peaceful fish you can start with. Probably would be happier with a mate.

Thanks for the reply :) so if I'm okay getting another one can anyone help sex this one please? Also, if I end up with a male and a female, how likely are they to breed?

I'm confused because mine has the fins of a female but the colouring of a male lol? Can females get the orange colouring? Cos mine does have that, its not as obvious from the picture

Breeding is relatively simple. Adult males are easy to distinguish from the females by their deep red-orange coloration on the throat and breast. Looks like you have a male. Another clue is the dorsal fin which is longer and more pointed on the male than the female. When ready to spawn the female will have a much plumper body than the male. Females will keep the same color they have. They will breed easily, but you have to make the water conditions favorable for their lovefest. Kinda like the perfect date ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom