Long minor red tetra breeding help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crazy4fish

Aquarium Advice Regular
Only have two red tetras but, one looks really fat like she could be carrying eggs. But I don't know if the other tetra is a male. How do you tell? And can they produce eggs even if there is no male to fertilize the eggs??

I couldn't get that good of pictures because they are swimming to fast the first one is the one with the eggs

Attachments

• image-3974752490.jpg
    image-3974752490.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 92
  • image-1402939128.jpg
    image-1402939128.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 102
The dorsal fin of the male is almost a solid black, whereas this fin on the female lacks the black in the lower part; as with most tetra, the female is rounder (thicker in body) than the male.

The adults will eat the eggs given the chance and should be removed as soon as eggs are noticed. These will hatch in 24-36 hours, with the fry becoming free swimming a 3-4 days later. They should be fed on an infusoria-type food for the first few days, until they are large enough to accept microworm or brine shrimp nauplii. The eggs and fry are light sensitive in the early stages of life and the tank should be kept in darkness if possible.

Ok thanks do much!!!! Are the eggs laid on a flat surface??? also, you are saying I gave both a male and female???

They are egg sacterers which means they randomly release their eggs, but only when a male is around to fertilize them.

Great thanks!!!!!! When should I put them in a different tank? They are in a community tank.

Ok thank you do much!!! Do they lay eggs on a flat surface?? Sorry im asking so many questions.

Like I said before, they scatter the eggs. Meaning that they could land anywhere in the tank.

Great thanks!!!!!! When should I put them in a different tank? They are in a community tank.

If you are trying to save most of the spawn, you should breed the fish in a separate tank then remove the parents once they have spawned. A simple set up for Tetras is to have a tank that has a number of taller small leaved plants for the parents to scatter their eggs in.
Most breeders will separate their males and females for about a week and "condition" them with higher protein foods as well as their regular diet. Once the female has "fattened up" she is put into the breeding tank along with the male. Since Tetras like to spawn close to the first light of day, you can put the fish into the breeding tank at the end of a day and probably have spawning occur the next morning. You also need to be aware that the eggs are light sensitive so you want indirect lighting for the tank and not a light on the tank. I liked to keep my Tetra breeding tanks near a window and used the natural light only for spawning and egg hatching.
Also, if I remember correctly, Red Minors/Serpae Tetra males have a white edge to their anal fin so based on your picture, you should have a pair.

Hope this helps (y)

Back
Top Bottom