Long Rant by a Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamie7

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello All,
I'm a new member and relatively new marine aquarist. I joined for advice.
I began with a 4L plain Betta tank, no air or filter, just plants. Easy!
I felt intimidated by salt tanks and concluded I'd never have one.

After I took a job where I was solely responsible for two eighty gallon marine tanks, I became excessively fond of the fish which I had donated. They ate from my hand and flirted shamelessly when I entered the room.
When I left the job, due to my attachment, I felt it necessary to purchase new replacement fish as a parting gift, in order to take my babies with me.

I buy captive bred fish when I can.

What follows may be considered slightly political but as a scientist I see it as simply based on unbiased information: My hope is that we can mitigate climate change and ocean acidification by reduction in our CO2 output. It is thought that ocean acidification (from CO2) alone may decimate the bedrock species of the food chain on which fish all the way up to the ocean top feeders rely; these essential prey are diatoms. In addition, the ocean acidification, as likely most of you know, has particularly damaging effects on the coral reef ecosystems, causing huge losses in numbers and kinds of fish, corals and other invertebrates, and macroalgae ("plants").

Ocean fish numbers have cut in half since the 1970s, according to an article in Scientific American, a laypersons' well respected journal. Another, recent publication held that the majority of ocean species rely upon reefs either directly as nurseries for their breeding, or indirectly because many resident or breeding guest species are essential links in the ocean food chain.

I could go on forever about environmental issues, so I'll stop here. <=
I hope to know you. Thanks! :D

I don't want to be that person, but 4L/1G is too small for a betta. 9L/2.5G is seen as the absolute minimum for one betta.

I'm with you about conservation and reduction of emissions, though!

Keeping the politics out of the conversations and specifics.

Welcome.

I wish all people and countries cared about the land, air and waters/seas as one would hope in being good stewards of these treasures and in my opinion gifts for us to nurture. use but take care of.

Also appreciate that there are learning curves and we gain valuable information in learning about things under our control/possession, and can make improvements and benefit our surroundings by being actively involved in trying to get captive raised / responsibly sourced, corals, plants and fish.

So good for everyone to help with that. Asking about where the fish came from, purchasing from companies which support sustainable and responsible sourcing. Although if we never got anything from the wild we wouldn't have the hobby we have today. Hence the learning part.

Back
Top Bottom