Long time SW tank, 1st time reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MartinAugarten

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had SW tanks successfully for many years but I am going to try my hand at a reef tank. Currently have a 50 gal tank, 3 fish (Two percula clowns(for over a year) and a new niger trigger. Just got a new light (my old one finally broke) current satellite w/ 2 -65 watt bulbs. (I don't know much about types of bulbs- the box says 10,000 K/460NM Actinic)
Would like some suggestions on first anemones or corals to start with. Also have questions about the calcium levels. A store salesman talked to me about adding liquid calcium but I tested mine. According to the test kit they seem good.
About the lighting. How much per day or does thing depend on the type of coral etc.
Any other good starting suggestions would be appreciated.

i'm not sure about the reef tank. good luck though, you should keep everybody posted with some neat pictures of stuff when you get it. also, i have read a lot about the lighting throughout this site, and it seems like a lot of people have suggested 250 to 300 watts at least for most reef tanks. hopefully somebody that knows for sure will let you know. either way, good luck. also, welcome to the forum. lots of cool people here with a lot of good advice to give.

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but except for the few corals that do well under low light, you will be quite limited as to what you can have. A suggested minimum would be 4 watts per gallon.

One of your tanks inhabitants can be rather "iffy" with corals. That would be the niger trigger.
I have a small niger in one of my coral grow out tanks and it is not picking on anything *yet*.

As for adding calcium, you did right by checking levels first. Salesmen are there to do just that, sell things..I amsure you know what I mean by that ;)

I leave my lights on for 10 hours each day.

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
I have to agree. 2x65watts of CF lighting is just not enough to support most corals, anemones are out of the question. You may have success with some species of mushrooms or zoanthids. Anything above and beyound that would not do well in the long-term.

I agree that right now your lighting is not sufficient. But you can always upgrade to more or better lighting.

You also might want to do some research on owning an anemone before you consider buying one. They do best in well established reef tanks, and even then it can be iffy as to whether they will thrive or not. Just my opinion.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom