Longfinned Pleco and Mega Pleco - breeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chitownmikey

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi All,

My first post. I'm exhausted from googling this, so I thought I'd see if you guys might be able to help. I've had a long finned bristlenose pleco (the 5 incher type) for about 4-5 months and a mega clown pleco for about 2 months in my 60g tank with lots of hiding places. I've really never seen these guys interact which is fine. I used to see my longfinned plec all the time and suddenly (the last 2 weeks or so) he/she is always hiding (saw him once a few days ago) and slacking on algae clean up (my tank was spic and span!) and I actually had to clean the sides of the tank yesterday. I did get some new led lights, but my tank is actually a bit darker. It's really pretty because it does a great job with accenting the tank but creates more shadows. ANYWAY, I was thinking that maybe the longfinned might be guarding eggs. Can these 2 guys cross breed? Just seems weird he was out all the time but now hiding. My only guess is guarding eggs or lighting. Oh one more change, I did start adding some algae wafers recently for the first time. Any thoughts guys? Thank you so much for your help!

Hi All,

My first post. I'm exhausted from googling this, so I thought I'd see if you guys might be able to help. I've had a long finned bristlenose pleco (the 5 incher type) for about 4-5 months and a mega clown pleco for about 2 months in my 60g tank with lots of hiding places. I've really never seen these guys interact which is fine. I used to see my longfinned plec all the time and suddenly (the last 2 weeks or so) he/she is always hiding (saw him once a few days ago) and slacking on algae clean up (my tank was spic and span!) and I actually had to clean the sides of the tank yesterday. I did get some new led lights, but my tank is actually a bit darker. It's really pretty because it does a great job with accenting the tank but creates more shadows. ANYWAY, I was thinking that maybe the longfinned might be guarding eggs. Can these 2 guys cross breed? Just seems weird he was out all the time but now hiding. My only guess is guarding eggs or lighting. Oh one more change, I did start adding some algae wafers recently for the first time. Any thoughts guys? Thank you so much for your help!

I dont believe its possible for those two to cross breed and if they did the eggs would be infertile and die. Also, never rely of any kind of fish for cleaning services. Plecos actually are omnivorous and require meaty food Like shrimp pellets and do not get near enough nutrition from the biofilm they graze on in the tank. :)

Totally understood on the cleaning service thing. Just found it odd that plec has been hiding and all of a sudden I have a algae build up which makes me think plec isn't coming out at night much either.

Would a male guard infertile eggs?

Different species will not breed or mate.

You did not mention his care, which I am assuming from the post you never gave him food so maybe he is starving.

Like the previous post stated, they are omnivores and require all kinds of food. You should research their care, both species..as some also require driftwood to aid in digestion.

No fish can solely live on tank algae.....plecos as they age do not eat algae

Sorry should have been more detailed, I feed them cucumber, shrimp pellets, fish flakes, blood worms and now algae pellets.

Guess I can rule out breeding. Must be the change in lighting. Only change in the last couple of weeks besides the addition of algae pellets. Unless he's sick :(

OK, good to hear that...my plecos, bristlenose and rubberlip only come out at night, they stay hidden in their caves all day...which might be a possibility since your pleco is getting older.

Back
Top Bottom