Look @ my nitrite reading..why??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YLD

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just checked my water and noticed that the nitrite went a little up. Why is that? I just did a pwc today but the readings are the same.
I changed the blue cartridge on my filter 2 wks ago buy I didn't touched the biowheel media. Also last week a fish died but I picked it up as soon as I saw it.
Oh and I got 2 new fishes in the last 2 wks.
Those are the only things I can think of. Can someone tell me whats the problem? Also how to fix or how long will it sty like that. Are my fish going to die??

Forgot the pic lol

Attachments

• image-437040115.jpg
    image-437040115.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 51
Well I did this test 2 wks ago and the nitrite was white so there is a change.
Maybe I should go to the store and do a test there :/

YLD said:
Well I did this test 2 wks ago and the nitrite was white so there is a change.
Maybe I should go to the store and do a test there :/

I'd buy your own liquid. I prefer to see my results for myself. The petstore may say it's okay just to try to sell you a fish or something. They're a business, and will give bad advice most of the time.

I always say take what they say for a grain of salt until it's proven true.

haha that is true. Thanks!

YLD said:
I just checked my water and noticed that the nitrite went a little up. Why is that? I just did a pwc today but the readings are the same.
I changed the blue cartridge on my filter 2 wks ago buy I didn't touched the biowheel media. Also last week a fish died but I picked it up as soon as I saw it.
Oh and I got 2 new fishes in the last 2 wks.
Those are the only things I can think of. Can someone tell me whats the problem? Also how to fix or how long will it sty like that. Are my fish going to die??
besides that I agree with bettababe about the strip test. I would like to ask you What kind of filter do you have? If is a HOB filter, a lot of the bacteria resides in the "blue cartridge"... So maybe when you changed you went to a mini cycle.

Yes it's a hob with a biowheel.
So if that's the case, how long is going to be in mini cycle? Do I have to do anything? I hope my fish don't start dying :S

YLD said:
Yes it's a hob with a biowheel.
So if that's the case, how long is going to be in mini cycle? Do I have to do anything? I hope my fish don't start dying :S

Just so you know you never have to change the filter media unless it is falling apart. I know the company said to change it every few weeks but they are just trying to get money out of you. If it needs a cleaning, use water that you have taken out from a PWC, smooch it around in there to get all the gunk out. That way the bacteria doesn't get harmed with all that chlorine that the tap water would cause.
: )

Yeah thanks I'm never going to do that again.
Now, do you know how long is a mini cycle? Do I need to do water changes or something?

You'll need to do water changes to lower the ammonia and nitrite below 0.25ppm. You do this until the BB catches up and you'll have a reading of 0ppm ammonia and nitrite. Then the mini-cycle is over and your tank is cycled once again.

Edit: you'll depend on the ammonia and nitrite readings on how much water change you'll need to do. For example: if the result is 0.50ppm nitrite, you'll need to do a 50-60% PWC to lower it down to at least .25ppm.

Back
Top Bottom