looking for a 20 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lovefishies

Aquarium Advice Activist
i know i am dreaming big real big but i am looking for a 20 gallon so i can get more fish my husband wont let me buy one so i am looking for one free i am just dreaming :roll:

looking for a 20 gallon

husband wont let me said its a waste of money oh well :(

Even if you got the tank for free you'd still have to buy the equipment. I don't think anyone is going to give away a whole 20g setup. If you find somebody...you are really lucky!

Your husband sounds a lot like mine. I have been saving money since Jan. For The 70 to 100 gallon tank that i want I am up to 180$ and am fixing to have a garager sale and use the money from it, will he let you do something like that. To get the 180 I have been sweeping up the change that hits the dresser and anything that goes into the washer is mine. I also write checks over for say five doolars sometimes at the grocery store.
My husband thinks that my fish are a wast of money and time as well.

Good Luck

Garage sales... people (around here anyway) get rid of full aquarium setups all the time. I figure this is because they buy the full set up, load it with fish and two weeks later, the tank is so loaded with ammonia that every single fish is belly-up. At this point, they're discouraged and to the garage the tank goes.

On occasion you'll get one who remembers how much they spent on the setup and they'll jerk you around on the price. However, in most cases, you can get them to come down to $10-$20 on almost any size tank pretty easily. I usually tell them that I'll have to replace a lot of the equipment for one reason or another (whether that's true or not)... at that point, the price can move downward precipitously.

Lovefishies where do you live? I actually have an old 20 gal hanging around I could give you if you were close.

there only $30,

the hood will cost you another $30 though

shrug....I just bought one two months ago, and everything, all said and done, was $172.

No stand, filter or gravel either...just the tank, glass top, 24" flourescent light, air pump, airstone, stick-on-termometer, and heater.

Ineubis said:
there only $30,

the hood will cost you another $30 though

shrug....I just bought one two months ago, and everything, all said and done, was $172.

No stand, filter or gravel either...just the tank, glass top, 24" flourescent light, air pump, airstone, stick-on-termometer, and heater.

are you serious, you got ripped off man, i'd take it back

i only payed $150 for a 55gal, filter, hoods, and 200w heater as a petsmart package

where the h*** would you go to pay that much for a 20g

hc8719 said:
i only payed $150 for a 55gal, filter, hoods, and 200w heater as a petsmart package

where the h*** would you go to pay that much for a 20g

Definitely sounds like he got ripped off but that Petsmart deal you got there sounds like one heck of a good deal... Does the heater have a thermometer built in? And is the filter a Top Fin (yuck)? I haven't even seen a 55g with hoods for that cheap.

that's retail price...just saying a whole new tank adds up..

tank - $30
glass top - $32
hood - $30
bulb - $20
heater - $20
thermometer - $2
air pump - $15
air stone - $7
airline tubing - $3

+ sales tax

And I certainly didn't get "ripped" as I've enjoyed it every day since I set it up :D

Classifieds, classifieds.......You can always find incredible deals if you are patient enough. "Patience" ya it is hard. But if you are tight on funds it is great. I have found so many good deals on Craigslist on stuff I wanted to buy that I didn't even need.

SO many people buy aquariums without researching a thing about cycling....All their fish die, and they want it out of the house. AA doesn't reach everyone all though I try

I bought a petsmart set up once.. and with-in a year and a half, i had replaced the heater, the air pump, the filter, the canopy... it all broke and was of terrible quality. not saying they are all like that, but from taht point on i vowed to buy only the best equipment.

My 56 gallon column cost me quite a bit of money, like 800 bucks... then again the light alone was 200 i think, and i have pressurized CO2.

I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for. Not saying you can't get ripped off, but alot of the stuff they sell in this hobby is junk that will end up costing you more in the long run.

As far as the 20 gallon goes, good luck. I hope something comes out of it, and I do agree that garage sales are a good place to look.

Definitely sounds like he got ripped off but that Petsmart deal you got there sounds like one heck of a good deal... Does the heater have a thermometer built in? And is the filter a Top Fin (yuck)? I haven't even seen a 55g with hoods for that cheap.[/quote]

it is a topfin, but im satisfied with it, the heater does have a built in thermoneter (and the tank came with a sticker thermoneter, ...whoo-hoo)

the filter is actually a whisper/tetra brand filter, just has topfin sticker on it. (so is the heater, which is actually very accurate)

im satisfied, although i would like to get a rena xp2 canister, just because im tired of hob filters

My husband thinks that my fish are a wast of money and time as well.

There are other hobbys that you could be doing that I bet he wouldn't like. Maybe you can turn him onto it somehow.

My girl hated fish in the beggining and now I cant stop her from wanting a new fish every weekend!!

I feel your pain. My problem is I have everything to set-up another 20gl long but a stand so it sucks having everything but I can’t set it up since she won’t let me buy a $64.00 stand. My wife’s problem and I don’t know if this is your husbands is that she has no hobbies of her own and can’t understand why I am willing to spend so much time and money on my hobby.

I like my petsmart setup, 46 oceanic bowfront, nice stand, glass hood, light, penguin 350, 200w heater, thermometer, waterfall deco, net all for $414.

Back
Top Bottom