Looking for a Good Timer for My Lights over Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LindaC

Aquarium Advice Freak
The timer I have now is horrible, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, that's providing I am setting it correctly. It's not the easiest timer to set up, the directions are very poor. Can anyone suggest a good time that is fairly easy to use and is also dependable?

Many thanks!
Linda

Thats all I use aswell. Their is ones at Lowes or Home Depot that are a little more but are grounded aswell.

You dot need anything to syphisticated. I have seen battery operated ones but I figure whats the difference. After all if the powers out it dont much mater if the timmer cycles on/off. Lights still wont work.

I bought that powerstrip/timer at lowes today and the 4 plugs that the timer controls is for all 4 plugs. So it would work great for a planted tank if you dont want to control multiple lights, but not if you want 8 plugs to turn stuff on at different intervals. I will be returning mine and buying a couple of timers seperate because my lights have 2 power cords. One for actinic, and the other for daylight.

Wal-mart, lowes and homedepot should carry a timmer that looks like this.

s_140.jpg

OR

647580.gif

Thats all you need. NOtice one is two prong and one is three. Get the grounded one if possible. It does not need to have the ability to have multiple on/off cycles just one on and one off cycle is fine.

I got one of those powerstip timers at PetSmart and it quit after a week. I always had trouble with those rotating types also. I finally got a nice digital one from WalMart that has worked well for years. It was a little difficult to program, but it keeps its setting even when the power fails and has an override on/off switch which is nice. It is grounded three-prong and rated for appliances so can handle lots of lights. More expensive but worth it IMHO.

The ones I have gotten are rated for 15A so you cant get much heaver than that. The only issue I have had with these cheap units is on occasion they will stop turning on or off but this is usually after a long period of use. They are powered by the outlet so when there is no power the timmer does not run but then again is that a big deal? If there is no power do you care if the on/off cycle is continuing. When power is restored if its for a long outage you just have to turn the dial to the then current time and your back in business.

These also have a manual on/off switch.

Back
Top Bottom