looking for a tankmate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mizzouHHR

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a well established healthy 29 gallon aquarium with 2 giant danioes and a flame gourami. I would like to add a fish to the mix, but don't want a schooling fish since I don't have room for 5-6. I was thinking along the lines of a bolivian ram, but I'm not sure. Can anyone suggest a good tankmate for my setup? I have 2 large ship halves that give a lot of shelter, and I was thinking of another type of dwarf gourami, but I'm not sure it's a good idea with a tank this small. The flame gourami has only been in the tank a short time and hasn't seemed to have established a territory yet, but I'm afraid with the addition of another dwarf, it could get ugly. Are flames less agressive than other dwarfs like the neon or powder blue?

maybe a couple of Cories or some Khuli Loaches? That would help fill out the bottom of the tank.

Flame gourami's are just a color morph of dwarfs, no more or less aggressive than any other similar dwarfs. A 29 is a bit small for giant danio's, and they would be happier in a larger group.
I have some dwarf chanchito's available that would work well in a 29. I have 9-10 others as well as the currently established pair:
AquaBid.com - Your Aquatic Auction Website

If you've only got those three fish in your tank, you still have lots of room! Check out "My Tanks" under my screen name and look at my 29g. My three male rainbows are about the size of your fish. My AC70 filter lets me get away with a lot of fish.

As you suggested, I'd stay away from another gourami. Not sure how a ram would get along with a gourami either. Corys and khulis would work. I'd suggest hatchetfish too. If you're looking for a feature critter, look at bamboo shrimp or another filter feeding big shrimp.

maybe a couple of Cories or some Khuli Loaches? That would help fill out the bottom of the tank.

I thought Cories were happier in a school, but I could be wrong on that. I wouldn't want to add more than two, but, if they will be happy in that number that is a good idea!

If you've only got those three fish in your tank, you still have lots of room! Check out "My Tanks" under my screen name and look at my 29g. My three male rainbows are about the size of your fish. My AC70 filter lets me get away with a lot of fish.

As you suggested, I'd stay away from another gourami. Not sure how a ram would get along with a gourami either. Corys and khulis would work. I'd suggest hatchetfish too. If you're looking for a feature critter, look at bamboo shrimp or another filter feeding big shrimp.

Yes, just the three fish are all I have now. I've been very cautious about over stocking. I have the Marineland Penguin BIO-wheel 200 filter in mine.

Back
Top Bottom